Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
guy guy is offline

Default Writing a CSV file

This is a fairly easy task but I'm struggling to find the right objects to
use.

I have a named range on a spreadsheet or around 20 columns and 10 rows and I
want to write that range out to a CSV file in a specific directory with a
specific name (I want the extension to end in .txt and not .csv).

So I'm thinking that I could loop over each row and inside that loop I would
loop over each column and then write the conents of each cell to the file
and put a "," between each value.

I'm not familiar with Excel VBA syntax so any pointers would be much
appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub WriteCSV()
Dim rng as Range, bk as Workbook
set rng = Workbooks("MyBook.xls") _
.Names("Table").RefersToRange
workbooks.add
set bk = Activeworkbook

rng.copy bk.Worksheets(1).Range("A1")
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
bk.Saveas "C:\Myfolder\Myfile.csv, FileFormat:=xlCSV
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
bk.close SaveChanges:=False
On Error Resume Next
Kill "C:\Myfolder\Myfile.txt"
On Error goto 0
name "C:\Myfolder\Myfile.csv" as "C:\Myfolder\Myfile.txt"

Tom Ogilvy

"guy" wrote in message
This is a fairly easy task but I'm struggling to find the right objects to
use.

I have a named range on a spreadsheet or around 20 columns and 10 rows and

want to write that range out to a CSV file in a specific directory with a
specific name (I want the extension to end in .txt and not .csv).

So I'm thinking that I could loop over each row and inside that loop I

would
loop over each column and then write the conents of each cell to the file
and put a "," between each value.

I'm not familiar with Excel VBA syntax so any pointers would be much
appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
guy guy is offline

Many thanks Tom. I was only expecting a couple of pointers and not the
entire sub so your help is VERY much appreciated. I think that there was a
missing " in this line:
bk.Saveas "C:\Myfolder\Myfile.csv, FileFormat:=xlCSV
but otherwise the code ran perfectly.

Thanks again for your help.