Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Simple Dumb Question: App.ScreenUpdating

Hi everyone. I have a question about Application.ScreenUpdating. I run a
bunch of subs from one main sub:

Sub Main()
Application.ScreenUpdating=False
sub1
sub2
sub3
Application.ScreenUpdating=True
end sub

Does the Application.ScreenUpdating carry through to all 3 subs that are
called from the Main, or should I have that in each of the 3 subs? Thank
you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could check it:

Public Sub CheckSU()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
test1
test2
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Public Sub test1()
MsgBox "test1: " & Application.ScreenUpdating
End Sub
Public Sub test2()
MsgBox "test2: " & Application.ScreenUpdating
End Sub

In article ,
"Steph" wrote:

Hi everyone. I have a question about Application.ScreenUpdating. I run a
bunch of subs from one main sub:

Sub Main()
Application.ScreenUpdating=False
sub1
sub2
sub3
Application.ScreenUpdating=True
end sub

Does the Application.ScreenUpdating carry through to all 3 subs that are
called from the Main, or should I have that in each of the 3 subs? Thank
you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Should carry through.

There is a possibility that your subs call a function that turns it back on,
but otherwise it should carry through.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steph" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I have a question about Application.ScreenUpdating. I run a
bunch of subs from one main sub:

Sub Main()
Application.ScreenUpdating=False
sub1
sub2
sub3
Application.ScreenUpdating=True
end sub

Does the Application.ScreenUpdating carry through to all 3 subs that are
called from the Main, or should I have that in each of the 3 subs? Thank
you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks guys. The test showed that it does in fact carry through. The subs
that the main calls do a lot of opening and closing of files. So I still
see the screen popping back and forth as files are opened and closed. I
guess there's no way to prevent that from happening....at least
App.ScreenUpdating doesn't seem to prevent it.

"Steph" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I have a question about Application.ScreenUpdating. I run

bunch of subs from one main sub:

Sub Main()
Application.ScreenUpdating=False
sub1
sub2
sub3
Application.ScreenUpdating=True
end sub

Does the Application.ScreenUpdating carry through to all 3 subs that are
called from the Main, or should I have that in each of the 3 subs?

Thank
you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have opened and closed files with screen updating turned off many times
and it did not affect the setting nor did I see any activity. So doing
that alone should not affect it.

Tom Ogilvy

"Steph" wrote in message
Hi everyone. I have a question about Application.ScreenUpdating. I

run
bunch of subs from one main sub:

Sub Main()
Application.ScreenUpdating=False
sub1
sub2
sub3
Application.ScreenUpdating=True
end sub

Does the Application.ScreenUpdating carry through to all 3 subs that

are
called from the Main, or should I have that in each of the 3 subs?

Thank
you!!

No Dumb Question darkbearpooh1 Excel Worksheet Functions 1 January 25th 06 03:32 PM
dumb question ForSale[_45_] Excel Programming 5 August 31st 04 03:00 AM
Dumb Dim Question Michael Smith Excel Programming 1 June 25th 04 05:43 PM
dumb question john m Excel Programming 2 December 24th 03 04:13 PM
Really Dumb Question Novice[_8_] Excel Programming 4 December 19th 03 01:20 AM