Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default multi-functional cells in Excell 2003

can a cell be multi-functional, IE accept user input data or formula
generated data without loosing the formula in the cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No.

When I want to allow the user to supersede the formula's result, I use 3 cells.

The formula cell (evaluates to the default value)
the override cell (for manual input)
the cell that's used.

For instance:
I'd put the formula in A1, the override value in B1 and use this in C1:
=if(c1<a1,c1,a1)

Lock columns A and C and protect the worksheet.

Then I could use column C in any subsequent formulas.

--

Dave Peterson