Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gi Gi is offline

Default update independent column on pivot table

Hi
I have this one problem that I tried to solve. I don't have advanced
knowledge in excel, so any advise really helpful.

I created a pivot table from another workbook (let's call it workbook1).
This pivot table contains 2 colums. When somebody else update workbook1, I
refreshed my pivot table to reflect those new datas. Now, on the next column
(column 3 and the rest, I have independent column that I put the data in
manually, and also some of them calculation (such as column 2 in pivot table
* column 3 = column 4).
everytime those data got refresh in pivot table, my own data in column 3 and
the rest doesn't get refresh.
For example:
COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4
123 2 3 6
231 3 1 3
COL1 and 2 from pivot table, col 3 = independent column, col4 = col2 * col3
also, col1 needs to be in sequential. So, if I have a new number 150
(that's going to be on row2), it rfresh col 1 and 2, but col3 and 4 still
stays on row1 and 2. what i want that data for 231 shoould follow on the
same row.

I hope my explanation on the problem is not confusing.
all the helps really appreciated.
thx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That isn't something supported by the pivot table.

Since it is a formula relative only to the row, it should recalculate and
give you the desired result. The only problem would be if the pivot table
included more rows, then you would need to either have your formulas
pre-entered or have to copy them down.

An alternative might be to put formulas in adjacent columns in the original
data and make them part of the pivot table. The feasibility of this
approach would be if the formulas were single row oriented.

Tom Ogilvy

"GI" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gi Gi is offline

there is nothing can be programmed somehow?
is it possible to insert independent column in pivot table?

"GI" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GI,
I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to do, but two things
that you may want to search out in both the help file and this usenet:
1. Create your own formula in a PivotTable
2. Extend formats and formulas to additional rows

HTH, Lonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Gi Gi is offline

sorry for the confusion. I tried to find it on the help and everything. also,
i asked some people that have more experience on excel than me.
I have this huge excel file that always been updated by different
department. I would like to link that file to my own file, since my
requirements are different than them. My own file consists of 2 data (on
separate colums) that I took from the base file. In order for me to keep
updating my own data, I linked them with pivot table. So, I can refresh it
to reflect new data.
After the pivot table, I created my own independent calculation. The
problem is everytime I update my pivot table, it won't update the calculation.
Example: (first 2 columns as pivot table)
Part numbers Quantity/product product produce total(col 2 x3)
123 3 2
6
234 2 1
2
254 1 3
3
let's say there is a new number = 150, it will go to row 2 when you refresh
it.
I would like when there is a new number, column 3 and 4, should make the row
empty.
maybe i should use different method or something. i thought excel can do this.
thank you for all your advice. hopefully this explanation helps. i
appreciate it if you can help.
--GI