Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Code to Save HTML table as xls file on click

Hi,

I am trying to save a HTML table to an excel file. However I want this to
happen through code.

If I click a button I should have the table open in an excel instance.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tim,

I am trying to create a click button on the HTML page to perform this.
This is what I want it to do:

On click of the button, it should open another window with the HTML table in
excel file format for which I can then do File -- Save -- *.xls

TIA

"Joe Black" wrote in message

I am trying to save a HTML table to an excel file. However I want this

happen through code.

If I click a button I should have the table open in an excel instance.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is this a HTML page on the internet(or intranet) ? If you have access
to server-side coding it's pretty easy: if not it's going to be pretty
difficult. Code in the browser has no access to the user's file
system and - unless they have dangerous security settings - no
ability to create an Excel file using automation (for example).

I'm not sure this is possible using purely client-side scripting...

Tim.

"Joe Black" wrote in message

I am trying to save a HTML table to an excel file. However I
want this

happen through code.

If I click a button I should have the table open in an excel
instance.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tim,

This is a site on the Intranet and its being developed using Lotus Domino
6.5 so access to server is available.

Hope this is useful.

"Joe Black" wrote in message

I am trying to save a HTML table to an excel file. However I
want this

happen through code.

If I click a button I should have the table open in an excel
instance.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Joe,

My only server-side experience is with ASP or Perl, so I can't really
comment on Domino.
However, the basic concepts are the same: get whatever code creates the
original HTML table to instead create it in Excel format and send it to the
browser. If you search Google for "ASP Excel" you will find many examples
of how to do this. One method is to set the "content-type" to excel and
then just write the content as an HTML table: Excel will interpret this as a
regular worksheet.

http://www.codeave.com/asp/code.asp?u_log=40

http://archive.baarns.com/DevOnly/No...d/Intr9712.asp
http://archive.baarns.com/DevOnly/No...d/Intr9713.asp