Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Auto Refreshing: data retreival from webpage

My question is as such:

I have a small excel program that retreives data from a webpage; this data
is updated every 5 minutes and it is essential that the operator of this
excel file sees the updated data at all times.

Currently I have implemented a button that they can click to update to
refresh the data; however, it would be much better if there was a way to have
excel automatically refresh the data (ie. retreive it from the webpage again)
at a certain interval (say 5 minutes.)

Thanks in advance,

Matt Lawson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Matt,

Are you using a Web Query to retrieve the data? menu Data Import (or Get)
External Data.
If so, right click on the returned data from the first run and choose Data
Range Properties. There, you can check the boxes to have the query
automatically refreshed when book opens, every x minutes, ....
If not, can you make it a web query?

Regards,
Sebastien

"Matt Lawson" wrote:

My question is as such:

I have a small excel program that retreives data from a webpage; this data
is updated every 5 minutes and it is essential that the operator of this
excel file sees the updated data at all times.

Currently I have implemented a button that they can click to update to
refresh the data; however, it would be much better if there was a way to have
excel automatically refresh the data (ie. retreive it from the webpage again)
at a certain interval (say 5 minutes.)

Thanks in advance,

Matt Lawson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, I am using a webquery.

However, the real problem I just discovered is as such:

The filename of the webpage that contains the data is constantly changing
(changes every day and hour)

Now, I can generate this file name to input based on the data, HOWEVER.

I am using the =NOW() statement to determine the date and then extract the
corresponding filename.

However, I have no way of refreshing the NOW statement automatically besides
having the user hit a refresh button of some sort.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt Lawson