Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default What is this Strange Characet? Find/Replace

Hey guys-
Got a CSV file here that has an address field using a weird character to
separate the address line from the city/state/zip. The character is a square
box. I'm trying to do a find/replace on the thing, but, I don't know what it
is to be able to tell excel to find it. I've tried to copy/paste it into the
Find/Replace search box, but it won't recognize it. Can someone tell me what
this character is (is it a 'return' signal, a tab, what?) so that I can
replace it with a normal character in excel?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chip Pearson has an addin that can help you find out what is exactly in that
cell.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

If it turns out to be "nice", you can use Edit|Replace
what: alt-xxxx (use the numbers on the number keypad--not above the
QWERTY keys)
with: (spacebar) or whatever you want.

This can work nicely with alt-enters (alt-0010), but will fail with other
characters (alt-0013 for example).

You could use a macro to clean them up:

Option Explicit
Sub cleanEmUp()

Dim myBadChars As Variant
Dim iCtr As Long

myBadChars = Array(Chr(yy), Chr(zz))

For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:=" ", _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
Next iCtr

End Sub

Change the yy/zz to what Chip shows (and you can drop ", chr(zz) if you only
have one offending character).

(And I changed them to space characters.)

D wrote:

Hey guys-
Got a CSV file here that has an address field using a weird character to
separate the address line from the city/state/zip. The character is a square
box. I'm trying to do a find/replace on the thing, but, I don't know what it
is to be able to tell excel to find it. I've tried to copy/paste it into the
Find/Replace search box, but it won't recognize it. Can someone tell me what
this character is (is it a 'return' signal, a tab, what?) so that I can
replace it with a normal character in excel?
Thanks!

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try downloading my CellView add-in, available at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm .

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"D" wrote in message
Hey guys-
Got a CSV file here that has an address field using a weird
character to separate the address line from the city/state/zip.
The character is a square box. I'm trying to do a find/replace
on the thing, but, I don't know what it is to be able to tell
excel to find it. I've tried to copy/paste it into the
Find/Replace search box, but it won't recognize it. Can someone
tell me what this character is (is it a 'return' signal, a tab,
what?) so that I can replace it with a normal character in
excel?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are a couple of ways you could try to figure this out. The squar
character shows up when the character's number doesn't have
corresponding symbol (like a letter) defined in the font. Maybe yo
could try a couple of other fonts in your text editor to see if i
changes into something that you can then figure out. Another option i
to run your file through a little vb code that checks what the cha
number is at the position that this character appears in your file:

'myString has the text, and the character is at position 10
debug.print asc(mid(myString,10,1))

or something like that...

--
talkswithnumbe
talkswithnumber's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1684

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok- tried doing Alt+0011 and it said it couldnt find anything to replace. I
also tried a Clean() function, and THAT DID work- but, I dont want to delete
the character since I need to find/replace and then go text to columns with
it. Any other ideas?
Thanks guys!

"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I tried alt-0011, it didn't work.

You may end up using the macro.

You could use a helper column of cells with formulas:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(11)," ")

then drag down, copy|paste special|values over the original range and delete the
helper column of formulas.

(I'd try the macro--it looks quicker.)

D wrote:

BTW- I did a =CHAR(A1) on it and it comes back as 11.

So how do I do a find/replace on this thing now?
Thanks!

"D" wrote in message news:svapd.75121$EZ.36941@okepread07...
Hey guys-
Got a CSV file here that has an address field using a weird character to
separate the address line from the city/state/zip. The character is a
square box. I'm trying to do a find/replace on the thing, but, I don't
know what it is to be able to tell excel to find it. I've tried to
copy/paste it into the Find/Replace search box, but it won't recognize it.
Can someone tell me what this character is (is it a 'return' signal, a
tab, what?) so that I can replace it with a normal character in excel?
Thanks!

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Replace it with a character that isn't used. Maybe the vertical bar (|).

Then use that in your data|text to columns.

(I'd still use that other macro <bg.)

D wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok- pasted it into word and it just moved down a line like I did a hard
return or something. Tried all different fonts and nothing.

I have no idea how to go about doing the VB route- any more hints on doing
that? Man this is getting to be a pain...
Thanks!

"talkswithnumber" wrote in
message ...

There are a couple of ways you could try to figure this out. The square
character shows up when the character's number doesn't have a
corresponding symbol (like a letter) defined in the font. Maybe you
could try a couple of other fonts in your text editor to see if it
changes into something that you can then figure out. Another option is
to run your file through a little vb code that checks what the char
number is at the position that this character appears in your file:

'myString has the text, and the character is at position 10
debug.print asc(mid(myString,10,1))

or something like that....

--
talkswithnumber
talkswithnumber's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=320304

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could read David McRitchie's notes:

Short course:

Open your workbook.
Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros/UDF's live)
hit ctrl-R to view the project explorer
Find your workbook.
should look like: VBAProject (yourfilename.xls)

right click on the project name
Insert, then Module
You should see the code window pop up on the right hand side. Paste the code
there.

Then hit alt-f11 to get back to excel.
then hit alt-f8 (or tools|macro|macros) and select the macro and click run.

Option Explicit
Sub cleanEmUp()

Dim myBadChars As Variant
Dim iCtr As Long

myBadChars = Array(Chr(11))

For iCtr = LBound(myBadChars) To UBound(myBadChars)
ActiveSheet.Cells.Replace What:=myBadChars(iCtr), Replacement:="|", _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
Next iCtr

End Sub

I replaced it with the vertical bar (|) in the code above.

D wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is CODE that you want to use and you must hit the correct
position as code only works for one character.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#debugformat

Instead of using the likes of =CODE(MID(A1,14,1))
you might try Chip Pearson's function.

Do you just want to replace them with spaces or were you
planning to separate the cell as if using Data, Text to Columns.

Didn't think you had a 0011 because that is not typical.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/rexx/htm/symbols.htm
--
HTH,

"D" wrote in message news:VCapd.75122$EZ.14343@okepread07...
BTW- I did a =CHAR(A1) on it and it comes back as 11.

So how do I do a find/replace on this thing now?
Thanks!

"D" wrote in message news:svapd.75121$EZ.36941@okepread07...
Hey guys-
Got a CSV file here that has an address field using a weird character to
separate the address line from the city/state/zip. The character is a
square box. I'm trying to do a find/replace on the thing, but, I don't
know what it is to be able to tell excel to find it. I've tried to
copy/paste it into the Find/Replace search box, but it won't recognize it.
Can someone tell me what this character is (is it a 'return' signal, a
tab, what?) so that I can replace it with a normal character in excel?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Looks like there is actually a 0011 it is VT (vertical tab)
never heard of it. Though from some of your replies, it
doesn't sound like that is the character unless you did not
proper use ALT+0011 from the numeric keypad
http://www.december.com/html/spec/ascii.html

---
HTH,