Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Apparently Erroneous Resource Error Message

I have Excel 2002 SP3, and Windows XP Home SP2 version 5.1.2600.

I had only 256 MB RAM.

I have a workbook with 21 Sheets where the first 20 sheets were populated
with data with no problem. But the following error message consistently
occurred while trying to paste data into Sheet 21:

"Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data
or close other applications."

I surmised that surely this was a RAM-shortage problem. I spent $667.72 for
two 512 MB RDRAM modules from Dell raising my total RAM to 1.25 GB.

I'm getting the exact same error message on the exact same sheet. I
searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base and other sources to no avail.

Is this a RAM issue at all? And if so, why can't Excel use even a little of
all that additional RAM that I spent so much on? (Yes it was installed
correctly.)

I'm at a complete loss and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Quite large: 179 MB. That couldn't be it, could it?
Thanks

"RWN" wrote in message
How big is the workbook?

--
Regards;
Rob
"JP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RWN RWN is offline

Not an expert here but that sounds like a large workbook to me.
You may want to check this out;
http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm
--
Regards;
Rob
"JP" wrote in message
Quite large: 179 MB. That couldn't be it, could it?
Thanks

"RWN" wrote in message
How big is the workbook?

--
Regards;
Rob

"JP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That seems to explain it. Apparently I am at the limit of Excel 2002's
"Excel useable memory." So rather than (or in addition to) buying more RAM,
the solution would have been to upgrade to Excel 2003 which can make use of
substantially more RAM. So I guess I'll just keep my RAM and upgrade Excel.

Rob, thank you so very much for taking the time and enlightening me. I
appreciate it.

Very Best Wishes,

JP
"JP" wrote in message
Quite large: 179 MB. That couldn't be it, could it?
Thanks

"RWN" wrote in message
How big is the workbook?

--
Regards;
Rob

"JP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
RWN RWN is offline

Or make smaller workbooks ;-)

Actually, now that I think of it, have you checked for "bloat"?
If you do a Ctrl-End do you got to the end of your data or somewhere in
"never, never land"?
Excel is notorious for not knowing where the data ends.
If the Ctrl-End takes you too far then you should delete all the
extraneous rows & columns and save the workbook immediately.
You may have to close it as well (saving only worked until at least xl2k
but in '03 I find that I have to close it).
--
Regards;
Rob

"JP" wrote in message
Quite large: 179 MB. That couldn't be it, could it?
Thanks

"RWN" wrote in message
How big is the workbook?

--
Regards;
Rob

-
--
"JP" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That's not it. After reading about the issues on the decisionmodels Web
site, I'm fairly confident that if I upgrade to Excel 2003 this problem will
be solved. I found it at viosoftware.biz for $84 with free shipping and no
tax so I'll be ordering.

Many thanks once again,

JP

"JP" wrote in message
Quite large: 179 MB. That couldn't be it, could it?
Thanks

"RWN" wrote in message
How big is the workbook?

--