Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default too many macros

Hi,

I've written an application that will be used to drive a loca
wrestling tournament. I have quit a bit of VB code with many macros.
The problem is the worksheet takes way too long to save. The peopl
running the tournament will be constantly going in and out of severa
worksheets (files) and it's real painful to wait around 20 seconds t
save each file after simply updating a cell or two.

Is there a way to write a special "save" macro that saves only the dat
in the cells and not the many macros that I have?

Thanks for your help

--
opie
opiec's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=496

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nothing that allows you to separate the code from the worksheets in a single
workbook.

But have you thought about separating your code from your workbook?

You could create a toolbar that runs your macros against the active workbook.
Then you save just the workbook with the data.

opiec wrote:

Hi,

I've written an application that will be used to drive a local
wrestling tournament. I have quit a bit of VB code with many macros.
The problem is the worksheet takes way too long to save. The people
running the tournament will be constantly going in and out of several
worksheets (files) and it's real painful to wait around 20 seconds to
save each file after simply updating a cell or two.

Is there a way to write a special "save" macro that saves only the data

opiec's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4963
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=275999

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How do you do this - is there anywhere I can read up on this technique?
BowMag

opiec wrote:

Hi,

I've written an application that will be used to drive a local
wrestling tournament. I have quit a bit of VB code with many macros.
The problem is the worksheet takes way too long to save. The people
running the tournament will be constantly going in and out of several
worksheets (files) and it's real painful to wait around 20 seconds to
save each file after simply updating a cell or two.

Is there a way to write a special "save" macro that saves only the data
in the cells and not the many macros that I have?

Thanks for your help!

--
opiec
opiec's Profile:
View this thread:

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if you're writing about creating the interface to your macros:

I like the way John Walkenbach did it in his menumaker.xls workbook.

It's easy to update and looks really professional.

And for toolbars, I like this:
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...5B41%40msn.com

I think I'd try to build a few sanity checks into each macro to see if you stop
the user from running a macro that will break something if he/she isn't on the
correct worksheet.

if lcase(activesheet.range("a1").value) < "yourstandardheaderhere" then
msgbox "wrong worksheet"
exit sub
end if

You could even check the name of the worksheets if they don't vary (much).