Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Got a doozy!

Ok let me see if I can explain this correctly.

Items in column A are sorted so all items of like name are in order.
want to do a running average on numbers in Column E, but only on item
that match the previous cell. For instance Column A has bp-161A in ro
1, 2, & 3 bp-161b in row 4. In row 1 column E 45,row 2 60, row 3 30
row 4 63. Now I need for each cell in column F to look at column
determine if it is of the same identity and average column E of tha
row with any previous rows above it. In this senerio row 1 column
would have 45 as its answer, row 2 would have the average of row1 and
of column E, row 3 would be average of row 1-3 and row 4 would have 6
because it begins a new identity. Hope I have given enough details her
for you folks to help me out.
Michae

--
Michael Wis
Michael Wise's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=699

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in F1 put in the formula

=Sumif($A$1:A1,A1,$E$1:E1)/countif($A$1:A1,A1)

then drag fill down the column.

Tom Ogilvy

"Michael Wise" wrote in message

Ok let me see if I can explain this correctly.

Items in column A are sorted so all items of like name are in order. I
want to do a running average on numbers in Column E, but only on items
that match the previous cell. For instance Column A has bp-161A in row
1, 2, & 3 bp-161b in row 4. In row 1 column E 45,row 2 60, row 3 30,
row 4 63. Now I need for each cell in column F to look at column A
determine if it is of the same identity and average column E of that
row with any previous rows above it. In this senerio row 1 column F
would have 45 as its answer, row 2 would have the average of row1 and 2
of column E, row 3 would be average of row 1-3 and row 4 would have 63
because it begins a new identity. Hope I have given enough details here
for you folks to help me out.
Michael

--
Michael Wise