Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default USING AN .xla FILE TO STORE MACROS

Chuckles,

You don't have to keep an xls copy. You can open an xla file in Excel just
as you can an xls file. Just make sure you uninstall the add-in before
opening it. The file won't be visible in Excel, but you cane edit the code
in the VBIDE as normal.

As for keeping a copy on your local drive, surely your network drives are
backed up, so there is no need? I keep many add-ins at work on a network
drive, and keep development versions on there which I update and then
promote to production. Never any problems.

--

HTH

RP

"Chuckles123" wrote in message

Our OS is WXP-Pro. We are using an .xla file on a shared network drive
to store macros. As a backup, I am "trying" to keep a matching .xls
file on my local drive. Also, to make changes in the VBA Code without
executing the macros, I have to be able to open the file, obviously.

I'm probably crazy, but it seems like I am getting inconsistent results
when saving code changes. This is the procedure I use: when getting
undesired results in the spreadsheet, I will "step-thru" the code, find
and correct the mistakes, and then click-on the "Save" icon in the
Editor; I then shut down the Editor, and click-on the "Save" icon in
the spreadsheet -- herein lies the rub, apparently, the code changes
just made are sometimes not saved in my .xls copy of the shared .xla
file.

I have been using the same prefix for the shared .xla file and my local
xls file -- I am thinking about making them different.

Help!

--
Chuckles123
Chuckles123's Profile: