Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel spreadsheet security

I think you could easily use DATEDIF() to determine age of document.
Based on that on Workbook Open could check against that date if greater
than 12months than Exit out.

Here is some help on Datedif, not documented within Excel

=(DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"d"))
If the above result is greater than 365, then kill the sheet on open.

Rich wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet, and I need to lock it down in the
following sequence:

1. Spreadsheet is opened, and current date is auto checked against
date set for 12 months ahead.
2. If date is less than future date, then workbook is useable.
3. If date is equal to future date, then excel spreadsheet is locked.

As you can see, I am after some security in a spreadsheet that is
being sent out to recepients. We would only like the recipients to be
able to use the workbook for 12 months. After that date, a msg comes
up saying time expired.

I know I would have to implement macros such as the current date being
auto run, setting an expiry date on a hidden sheet, then comparing the
two. Once a validation has been verified, either the workbook is left
open or it is closed. (depending on answer)

I am a confessed newbie with VBA, and although I am finding it very
interesting at the moment, I would really appreciate some close-in
help to find the code I need to do the above.

Anybody from Perth, W.A. here?

--

Jerry

~~~ plz remove "nospam." when replying via e-mail ~~~

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
to be honest I wouldn't care to crate this kind of security.
Your users simply have to disable macros and your security is gone.

Bottom line: There's no real way to protect Excel files

"Rich" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rich,
I work with protected data in worksheets every day. The trick is to encrypt
the data file and have a second file, with VBA, control the opening and
closing of the data file.
If this is something doable on your end, we can discuss further.

Dale Preuss
Milwaukee, WI

"Rich" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dale,

any further detail would be appreciated. I have been doing security
using a few methods, none being optimal. I would like to hear more of
your thoughts / ideas ......