Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default String stuff again!!

Hi,

Can someone tell me the function used to ectract a number from a string??

i.e. asdf12345asdfg

to give 12345

Cheers

Manny
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

if all your strings start with four alpha followed by five numeric then use
=MID(A1,5,5)

Cheers
JulieD

"Mannyluk" wrote in message

Can someone tell me the function used to ectract a number from a string??

i.e. asdf12345asdfg

to give 12345

Cheers

Manny

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
if the number is somethere in the middle of a string try:
=
IF(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(2,1/MID(A1,seq,1),seq)),MID(A1,LOOKUP(2,1/MID(A1,102
4-seq,1),1024-seq),LOOKUP(2,1/MID(A1,seq,1),seq)-LOOKUP(2,1/MID(A1,1024
-seq,1),1024-seq)+1),"")

where seq is a defined name with the formula:
=ROW(INDIRECT("1:1024"))

--
Regards
Frank Kabel