Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Functions don't work anymore!

Hello Everyone

I've written some code in Excel 2000. Now I've moved to a
new office that uses 2003. When I run the code I get
errors where I use Left, Date and Mid. I can't believe
the MSoft would remove these options. But I can't work
out what's going on.

Can anyone help me?

TIA

Sxx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm sure Tom's suggestion will work, this is more FWIW…

I had a similar problem with ALL string functions, not related to upgrading
Excel but a missing reference to an addin. I didn't want to remove it but
fixed like this:

str = Strings.Left(str,2)
or maybe
str = VBA.Strings.Left(str,2)

Frankly I don't know why missing references specifically* causes problems
with string functions nor why above fixes, at least in my scenario.

* maybe some others in the VBA library (see VBA in Object Browser) such as
DateTime functions.

Regards,
Peter

"Sohpie" wrote in message
Hello Everyone

I've written some code in Excel 2000. Now I've moved to a
new office that uses 2003. When I run the code I get
errors where I use Left, Date and Mid. I can't believe
the MSoft would remove these options. But I can't work
out what's going on.

Can anyone help me?

TIA

Sxx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter

This is great thank you
Means I can make my code more flexible and send it
anywhere!
Appreciate the advice
DateTime worked too

Sophie

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
After the error, reset then go to Tools=References

(in the VBE) and
remove
or fix references shown as MISSING

Tom Ogilvy

"Sohpie" wrote

in message
Hello Everyone

I've written some code in Excel 2000. Now I've moved

to a
new office that uses 2003. When I run the code I get
errors where I use Left, Date and Mid. I can't

believe
the MSoft would remove these options. But I can't

work
out what's going on.

Can anyone help me?

TIA

Sxx

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sophie,

The LEFT problem is new to me, but I've had many a wasted hour trying
to work out what's wrong with the DATE function.

Quite an odd resolution too (the following was true for Office 97 and
2000, and may be the same in 2003): If you have a Microsoft Office
CD, and choose just to install Access (I know this is an Excel
question, but the function relates to Access apparently...), the
program libraries containing this function doesn't get installed.

BUT...

If you choose to install EVERYTHING, then go through the list and
manually say "Actually, no, I don't want to install this" until Access
is the only thing left (eg it looks on screen to be an identical
installation as in the first case), the installation DOES put the
libraries in the correct location.

In any case, this should sort your DATE problem, and may fix the LEFT
problem as well, but I can't be sure. You need two files, GRID32.OCX
and MSFLXGRD.OCX - stick them in your Windows\System32 folder. The
DATE function should work once these are in place. If LEFT still
causes you problems, try to get hold of your IT support people and
insist on them installing every single MS Office application to run
locally, even those that you don't use - the LEFT function definetely
exists in 2003, so I'm guessing that a library is missing.

Hope this helps,

Clayton.