Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Small DB in Excel

Does anyone know of an efficient way to develop a small (1000 records or
less) database. My boss does not want to use typical relational db's since he
is most familiar with Excel. There does not seem to be much on the MS site.

Thanks in advance for any help
--
Rick R Beam
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You just put your column labels in the first row and put your data, one
record per row, below those.

This is called a list or table in Excel and you can then manage it with
tools found under the data menu. A pivottable report is an excellent way to
look at summarized results from this table/database (also found under the
data menu).

Tom Ogilvy

"RickBeam92247" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an efficient way to develop a small (1000 records or
less) database. My boss does not want to use typical relational db's since

he
is most familiar with Excel. There does not seem to be much on the MS

site.

Thanks in advance for any help
--
Rick R Beam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick

i've just been working on creating two related excel databases (with lots of
assistance from this group) ... i'm looking at storing 15000 records with
"related" information on other sheets & transfers between the two etc ... so
if you have any specific questions or if you'ld like to discuss different
ideas please feel free to email me direct (julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au)
.... however, i will mention one thing there - your options are "severely"
limited if you plan to have multiple users accessing the workbook at one
time. If this will be the case then i suggest you talk your boss into using
Access (or similar), additionally, if security is an issue go for Access.

Cheers
JulieD

"RickBeam92247" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an efficient way to develop a small (1000 records or
less) database. My boss does not want to use typical relational db's since
he
is most familiar with Excel. There does not seem to be much on the MS
site.

Thanks in advance for any help
--
Rick R Beam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick,
if you plan to have multiple users accessing the database
at one time - the best solution is my MX
(m3-lite-database + excel)

ALEX

--
ALEKSEJ
ALEKSEJ's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick,

I've done some small DB in Excel just as Tom Ogilvy mentioned. Kee
tables in different worksheet and you can even use Microsoft's Query3
to analyse those data in Excel's via ODBC connection. Just select Exce
file* when choosing Data Source when asked. Remember to tick all fou
tick boxs in Add Table's Option in MS Query32. Then you can see table
end with a $ in names. They are actually worksheet names. You can us
SQL in those table in Excel just as you do in other DB's. Using SQL ca
give you better means to analysis data than just using those built-i
command in Excel's Data menu.(eg. selecting data by meeting more than
criteria).

Huyeot

--
Huyeot