Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 97 to Excel 2002 :problems!!

Hi

We have an application developped on Excel97 and it runs perfectly.
Now our users are upgrading their computers to win2k/office2002 and
are encountering many problems with the application:
- automation errors
- many "Doctor Watson"
- errors on .calculate calls

The application is huge, what is the solution to make it work on
Excel2002?

Where is the backward compatibility Microsoft talks about?

Thank you for your help
aida
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure, blame Microsoft <g.

Are any filepaths hardcoded ? Are any external ActiveX components used ?
Are any external references set ? In the VB editor, on a troublesome 2002
machine, go Tools References and see if any are labelled "Missing".

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"aida" skrev i melding
om...
Hi

We have an application developped on Excel97 and it runs perfectly.
Now our users are upgrading their computers to win2k/office2002 and
are encountering many problems with the application:
- automation errors
- many "Doctor Watson"
- errors on .calculate calls

The application is huge, what is the solution to make it work on
Excel2002?

Where is the backward compatibility Microsoft talks about?

Thank you for your help
aida

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

there's no general solution.

first make sure the new office 2002 is upgraded to latest service packs.

Then make sure the TEMP directory is clean. (that means TOTALLY empty
and NOT containing hundreds or even thousands of "residual" files and
directories. Close all running applications and really delete everyting
from the temp directory. (easily opened by typing "%TEMP% in
windows/start/run dialog.) There may be 5 files locked or so, but that
should be it.

Try again..

Still problems?
Then someone has to sit down, identify the problem areas and debug'm one
by one..

the application may be huge but it shouldn't be a major problem, as
there aren't many problem areas UPgrading. (provided it's not coded by a
complete moron like the macro recorder :)

So YOU have to identify WHERE it goes wrong.
Then ask specific questions in the Ng's.

Or hire an excel expert to do the work for you <g
plenty of m here if you're willing to pay their fees.

keepITcool

(aida) wrote:

Hi

We have an application developped on Excel97 and it runs perfectly.
Now our users are upgrading their computers to win2k/office2002 and
are encountering many problems with the application:
- automation errors
- many "Doctor Watson"
- errors on .calculate calls

The application is huge, what is the solution to make it work on
Excel2002?

Where is the backward compatibility Microsoft talks about?

Thank you for your help
aida

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for your replies.
I did all you said (checked references,emptied the TEMP directory), the
SPs installed are the last ones, but it doesn't solve the problems.
I noted that many errors where linked to ActiveSheet.calculate.
When I bypass these calls I get other automation errors of any kind and
randomly spread...

I alllow to invite me for a dinner if any of you get a right solution
;-)

Aida

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try taking the application and making sure it's free of any
accumulated junk. Maybe check out Rob Bovey's code cleaner...
http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

In moving lots of files from '97 to XP I've not had the type of
problem you're describing.

Tim.

"aida bbb" wrote in message

Thank you for your replies.
I did all you said (checked references,emptied the TEMP directory),
the
SPs installed are the last ones, but it doesn't solve the problems.
I noted that many errors where linked to ActiveSheet.calculate.
When I bypass these calls I get other automation errors of any kind
and
randomly spread...

I alllow to invite me for a dinner if any of you get a right
solution
;-)

Aida

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Aida..

check the settings in Tools/Options/Calculation

in principle
Iteration must be OFF
Accept Labels in Formulas must be OFF

(see help for what they do)

OF course Automatic/Manual recalculation is up to the user...
and "toggled" by many programs

HTH

keepITcool