Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Point Scoring Using Substituted Numbers

Hi Everyone,

I'm having trouble creating a spreadsheet that calculates points for
online racing simulation leagues.

To make it easy to input the data I was thinking of having a table
that contained the finishing positions and then excel could do the
rest.

The main problem I'm having is converting the table of finishing
positions into a points table. The required data is as follows.

Sprint Rounds constitute 2 races each worth 30 points
1st = 30
2nd = 28
3rd = 26
4th = 24
5th = 22
6th = 20
7th = 18
8th = 16
9th = 14
10th = 12
11th = 10
12th = 8
13th = 6
14th = 4
15th = 2

Enduro Rounds are 1 race only and therefore worth double points
1st = 60
2nd = 56
3rd = 52
4th = 48
5th = 44
6th = 40
7th = 36
8th = 32
9th = 28
10th = 24
11th = 20
12th = 16
13th = 12
14th = 8
15th = 4

You're worst (total) round will be dropped and the series champion
decided on their best 5 rounds.

In the long term I'm looking at making variables such as points
awarded, dropping worst round and use of sprint rounds, etc... easily
adjustable.

Thanks in advance

Nathan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if you created a table like

1 30
2 28
etc

then you can convert a place to points using Vlookup

(Or if the cell will contain 1st rather than 1, replace the 1 above with
1st, etc)

for the other types of decisions, there are probably formulas that could be
used, but you description is way to vague to suggest anything.

Tom Ogilvy

"Valik" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Without any error checking, perhaps you could work a small equation into it.
Your rankings appear to be linear, so this is just a general idea.

Dim s, x, Sprint, Enduro
s = "5th"
x = Val(s) '5

Sprint = 2 * x - 32 '22