Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Compare all following columns when value is same

Excel 2002, Word 2000

I'm looking for a way to compare entries in columns D-Q to all other D-Q
entries when a value in Column B is the same.

Example: Rows 5, 12, 17, and 20 all have "ABC Company" in Column B. Colums
D-Q in each of those rows contain various invoice details.

I want to return an answer of "SAME" for any column in which all values are
the same in rows 5, 12, 17,20, and "DIFFERENT" if any entry in those rows
varies from other entries in the same columns for 5,12,17,20.

Column B data may have one or several entries for the same company. I want
to compare entries in columns D-Q for any rows that have the same "B" Column
value.

Can this be done other than manually? If so, please share a solution.
Thank you.

Allison
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is your ultimate goal to delete duplicates? If so, Data/Filter/Advanced
filter, and select Unique records only. There's more information on Advanced
Filter in Help.

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:13:03 -0700, "Allison"
wrote:

Excel 2002, Word 2000

I'm looking for a way to compare entries in columns D-Q to all other D-Q
entries when a value in Column B is the same.

Example: Rows 5, 12, 17, and 20 all have "ABC Company" in Column B. Colums
D-Q in each of those rows contain various invoice details.

I want to return an answer of "SAME" for any column in which all values are
the same in rows 5, 12, 17,20, and "DIFFERENT" if any entry in those rows
varies from other entries in the same columns for 5,12,17,20.

Column B data may have one or several entries for the same company. I want
to compare entries in columns D-Q for any rows that have the same "B" Column
value.

Can this be done other than manually? If so, please share a solution.
Thank you.

Allison

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Myrna,

No I won't be deleting duplicates. I need to identify records that are not
identical so I can analyze them and determine what needs to be changed.

The way I'm doing it by hand is Auto Filter, then select the value in Column
B I for which I want to compare the rest of the data, then check each of
colums D-Q drop-downs (from the auto-filter) to see if there is more than one
value in it. That is taking me ages to do.

I was hoping for an automated process.

Allison

wrote:

Excel 2002, Word 2000

I'm looking for a way to compare entries in columns D-Q to all other D-Q
entries when a value in Column B is the same.

Example: Rows 5, 12, 17, and 20 all have "ABC Company" in Column B. Colums
D-Q in each of those rows contain various invoice details.

I want to return an answer of "SAME" for any column in which all values are
the same in rows 5, 12, 17,20, and "DIFFERENT" if any entry in those rows
varies from other entries in the same columns for 5,12,17,20.

Column B data may have one or several entries for the same company. I want
to compare entries in columns D-Q for any rows that have the same "B" Column
value.

Can this be done other than manually? If so, please share a solution.
Thank you.

Allison

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You say "analyze". That implies to me some human judgment call that can't be
reduced to a formula. If that's true, there's no way to automate it.

Maybe it would help if you put a formula on the right, say in column R, that
concatenates the data from cells D:Q in that row. It would look something like
this (I'm assuming you have headers in row 1):

Then you could sort with B the 1st key and R the 2nd.

After you've sorted, in column S, put this formula in S3 and copy down:

=IF(B3=B2,IF(R3=R2,"SAME","DIFF"),"")

BTW, if you need to return them to the original order later, do this BEFORE
you sort: Put a helper column on the right. Type the number 1 in the top cell,
then use Edit/Fill/Series to enter consecutive numbers in the cells below.
When you want to get things back to the original order, sort on this helper
column.