Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
PO PO is offline

Default HELP

Hi!
I have the same problem as "sarasta" (posted 7/10). I have a great number of
client machines which need to connect to an Oracle 8 DB. But the majority
don't have Oracle Client installed. I have however access to one of our
servers which has a server version of Oracle Client installed.

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible, using Excel VBA, to connect to an Oracle 8 DB without
having Oracle Client installed on the PC? All clients have "Microsoft ODBC
for Oracle" installed.

2. If not, is it possible for the clients to connect to the Oracle DB using
the server and it's Oracle Client installation?

TIA
PO

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
PO PO is offline

Hi

I have knowledge of all the below. I already extract information from the
Oracle DB. My problem is that I have to install Oracle Client on about 100
client machines. Therefore my question is - can I do all of the below not
using Oracle Client (or only use ONE version on a separate server)?

Regards
PO

wrote in message
Here's what you need to connect (and it sounds like you
have, or can have it all):

1) Network access to the server/drive where the Oracle
database resides.
2) The ODBC driver installed and set up on each machine
(through the ODBC Administrator in Control Panel). This
requires knowledge of the port and TCP/IP settings.
3) Knowledge of the database User ID and password that you
need to access the data.
4) Any other connection settings - in other words, you
need to know the ODBC connection string.
5) Knowledge of SQL to query the database.
6) Knowledge of ActiveX Data Objects (especially the
Connection and Recordset Objects) in order to use ODBC
within VBA. You can set up the connection and use an SQL
string to retrieve your data into the recordset. Do a
search of the MSDN Library for "ADO" and you should find a
good reference to the ADO object model and how to use it.

Those are the basics, but it sounds like you should be
able to do what you want as long as you have or can get
the required User ID, password, etc...

K Dales

I have the same problem as "sarasta" (posted 7/10). I

have a great number of
client machines which need to connect to an Oracle 8 DB.

But the majority
don't have Oracle Client installed. I have however access

to one of our
servers which has a server version of Oracle Client

installed.

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible, using Excel VBA, to connect to an

Oracle 8 DB without
having Oracle Client installed on the PC? All clients

have "Microsoft ODBC
for Oracle" installed.

2. If not, is it possible for the clients to connect to

the Oracle DB using
the server and it's Oracle Client installation?

TIA
PO

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not familiar with specs for Oracle Client, so can't say
for sure - but in general with ODBC you can access the
data with no additional client software (other than the
ODBC driver).

Licensing may also be an issue, though - better check.