Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to create a macro

I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been spending on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Buccaneer,
If you look at the File Prpoerties, there is a value of "Total Editting
Time". May be you can use that.

NickHK

"Buccaneer" wrote in message
I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been spending

on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I see it listed on a workbook that I've been using for at least 15 years
(since Excel 2.1), but it has no value.

"Buccaneer" wrote in message
I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been spending

on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman,
I must say that I've never used it, just saw that it was there. You could
well be right, as I now see that its entry is blank.
Oh well.

NickHk

"Buccaneer" wrote in message
I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been

spending
on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start

the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Buccaneer,
As my first suggestion seems invalid, you might want to use AutoOpen and
_OnClose event to recalculate the the time the WB has been open this time,
adding that to the previous total.

NickHK

"Buccaneer" wrote in message
I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been spending

on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Myrna,

I see it listed on a workbook that I've been using for at least 15 years
(since Excel 2.1), but it has no value.

The property is listed and whilst it is possible to assign a value to it,
Excel does not.

I did not intend to deny existence of the property, but rather to query its
utility for the advocated purpose.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Buccaneer" wrote in message
I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been
spending
on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start
the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

All the built in document properties are defined/available in all Office
files. However, individual office applications only maintain a subset of
those properties. As Norman stated, word maintains "total editing time"
while excel does. not. As another example, xl97 didn't maintain Last Save
Time, but xl2000 and later do. So if you open a file in xl97 that has been
opened previously in xl2000 or later, it looks like the value is being
maintained, but saving in xl97 does not update the value. (just an
interesting quirk).

As Norman said, you can write code to update the value in the built in
document property is you wish.

Tom Ogilvy

"Buccaneer" wrote in message
I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been
spending
on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start
the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My thought was that the "total editing time" was updated only if the workbook
was shared.

I do not have any shared workbooks so have not tested this hypothesis.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Buccaneer" wrote in message
I need to create a macro where it shows how much time I've been

spending
on
each project. I have #'s totaled up but have no idea on how to start

the
macro. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gord,

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 214393
XL2000: Revision Number and Total Editing Time Boxes Are Empty

XL2000: Revision Number and Total Editing Time Boxes Are Empty

Applies To
SYMPTOMS
On the Statistics tab of the Properties dialog box (click Properties on the
File menu) the Revision number and Total editing time boxes are blank.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because Microsoft Excel does not use either of these
statistics.
MORE INFORMATION
The Properties dialog box is shared by Microsoft Office programs. Some
Microsoft Office programs use the Revision number and Total editing time
boxes; however, Microsoft Excel does not use either of these boxes.

For the full article see:

http://tinyurl.com/4ssd3

---
Regards,
Norman

My thought was that the "total editing time" was updated only if the
workbook
was shared.

I do not have any shared workbooks so have not tested this hypothesis.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the update and links Norman.

Learn new stuff every day<g

Gord

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:24:14 +0100, "Norman Jones"
wrote:

[...]

.. .