Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Series Collection Points

Hello,
I would like to
select a single point on a chart, then select a button that will call the
following subroutine:

AddCommenttoPoint(ByVal ElementID As Long, ByVal Arg1 As Long, ByVal Arg2 As
Long)

The elementID is XlSeries, Arg1 is the first series collection. The problem
I have is Arg2. I want that to be the data point that is selected on the
series. How do I determine which data point is selected on a series
collection using code? The Selected property does not work with the series
collection.

Thanks a lot.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and y. I don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet, but that may be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In a line chart embedded in a worksheet, if I have a single point selected:

? typename(selection)
Point
? typename(selection.parent)
Series

If I have a series selected
? typename(selection)
Series

This seems to contradict your premis

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and y. I don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet, but that may

be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Tom,

You are correct (of course). But I still don't know what point it is, just
that it is a point that is selected. What am I missing?

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and y. I

don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet, but that

may
be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What am I missing?

How to find out what point it is? <g

seriously, what do you want to know. Which point (index) it is in the
points collection of the Series. Not to say I can tell you that, but I can
see if I can figure it out. (there doesn't appear to be anything inherent to
a point object that will tell you that.) I could always change an attribute
of the point, then loop through the points until I found the point with that
unique attribute, then change it back.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and y. I

don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet, but that

may
be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

All I want to do is to look at a chart where there is a single data point
selected and find out which point is selected - without there being anything
special about the series collection. I am not sure it is possible.

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and y. I

don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet, but

that
may
be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Lets say I have 25 data points on a chart split between 5 series.

One data point is selected.

What do you mean by which data point. It doesn't have a name like Seymor,
so how are you identifying a data point.

My original suggestion would be akin to something like
SeriesCollection(2).Points(3)

as an example.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and y.

don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet, but

that
may
be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I may not be very clear on what I want. I want to find out which point is
selected without ever seeing the graph. You have one point selected on a
series collection. How can I find out which point that is using just VBA.

Thanks for responding. I do appreciate it.

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and y.

don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet, but

that
may
be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is the point represented by selection.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x and

y.
don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet,

but
that
may
be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,
I found two routines that do what I wanted. One changes the color of the
point and then loops back through. Pretty clever. One uses an old Excel 4
Macro. Ran across your name a couple of times in the search. You have been
helping people for a while. Thanks.

Sub GoToPoint()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Dim I, lstatus, sNum As Integer, tempS As String
If TypeName(Selection) < "Point" Then
MsgBox "You need to first select a point"
End
End If
sNum = Val(Right(Selection.Parent.Name, 1))
With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(sNum)
lstatus = Selection.Border.ColorIndex
Selection.Border.ColorIndex = 2
For I = 1 To .Points.Count
If .Points(I).Border.ColorIndex = 2 Then Exit For
Next
End With
MsgBox I
'value of I is the index of the point in the series
End Sub

Sub WhichPoint()

Dim sPoint As String
Dim iSeries As Integer, iPoint As Integer

sPoint = ExecuteExcel4Macro("SELECTION()")

If sPoint Like "S*P*" Then
iSeries = Val(Mid$(sPoint, 2))
iPoint = Val(Mid$(sPoint, Len(iSeries) + 2))

MsgBox "Series " & iSeries & ", Point " & iPoint
Else
MsgBox "Please select a single data point."

"Bill" wrote in message
Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x

and
y.
don't
want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet,

but
that
may
be
the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bill -

Who cares what number point it is? Use the Selection object.

Sub AddCommentToPoint()
Dim sLabel As String
If TypeName(Selection) = "Point" Then
sLabel = Application.InputBox _
("Enter a label for the selected point", "Enter Label")
Selection.HasDataLabel = True
Selection.DataLabel.Text = sLabel

If you use GetChartElement, who cares what X and Y are? A mouse click is what gives
you X and Y, and you pass these to GetChartElement without caring about the values.
For an example, check the examples he

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...html#PointInfo

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message

It is the point represented by selection.

Tom Ogilvy

.. .

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message

Lets say I have 25 data points on a chart split between 5 series.

One data point is selected.

What do you mean by which data point. It doesn't have a name like

Seymor,

so how are you identifying a data point.

My original suggestion would be akin to something like
SeriesCollection(2).Points(3)

as an example.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .

All I want to do is to look at a chart where there is a single data

point

selected and find out which point is selected - without there being

anything

special about the series collection. I am not sure it is possible.

Bill

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
. ..

What am I missing?

How to find out what point it is? <g

seriously, what do you want to know. Which point (index) it is in

the

points collection of the Series. Not to say I can tell you that,

but

can

see if I can figure it out. (there doesn't appear to be anything

inherent

a point object that will tell you that.) I could always change an

attribute

of the point, then loop through the points until I found the point

with

that

unique attribute, then change it back.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .

Hello Tom,

You are correct (of course). But I still don't know what point

it

is,

just

that it is a point that is selected. What am I missing?

Bill

. ..

"Bill" wrote in message

Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x

and

y.

don't

want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet,

but

that

may

be

the only way to do it.

Bill
"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
. gbl...

Look at GetChartElement

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Jon. Like the website. The reason I want to know the point number
is more than adding a label. I want to remove it or add it from a series of
caculations as well. So, you can select a point, hit a button and a dialog
box with several options - including adding a label, but also removing the
point from the calculations.

Bill

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message

It is the point represented by selection.

Tom Ogilvy

.. .

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message

Lets say I have 25 data points on a chart split between 5 series.

One data point is selected.

What do you mean by which data point. It doesn't have a name like

Seymor,

so how are you identifying a data point.

My original suggestion would be akin to something like
SeriesCollection(2).Points(3)

as an example.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .

All I want to do is to look at a chart where there is a single data

point

selected and find out which point is selected - without there being

anything

special about the series collection. I am not sure it is possible.

Bill

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
. ..

What am I missing?

How to find out what point it is? <g

seriously, what do you want to know. Which point (index) it is in

the

points collection of the Series. Not to say I can tell you that,

but

can

see if I can figure it out. (there doesn't appear to be anything

inherent

a point object that will tell you that.) I could always change an

attribute

of the point, then loop through the points until I found the point

with

that

unique attribute, then change it back.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .

Hello Tom,

You are correct (of course). But I still don't know what point

it

is,

just

that it is a point that is selected. What am I missing?

Bill

. ..

"Bill" wrote in message

Thanks Tom. But that doesn't work because I don't know x

and

y.

don't

want to have the macro in the workbook with the chart sheet,

but

that

may

be