Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default 2 things

I want to know information on two things.
i. Is there a tutorial sort of thing on the internet to learn excel
programming from scratch. I would like to see a user guide on how to as well
as some sample exercises to work on.

ii. I have a file that comes in a format as below :

Date Product Name Price Category
1/1/04 A1 100.00 High End
2/1/04 A1 105.00 High End
3/1/04 A1 135.00 High End
4/1/04 A1 175.00 High End
5/1/04 A1 205.00 High End
6/1/04 A1 215.00 High End
1/1/04 B1 100.00 High End
2/1/04 B1 105.00 High End
3/1/04 B1 135.00 High End

There are other products and other categories. I would like to get something
of the following format :
Date Product Name Price Category
Percentage change
1/1/04 A1 100.00 High End
Not applicable
2/1/04 A1 105.00 High End
=(New minus Old prices ) / price

Can someone help with the percentage changes ? Thanks
Srikanth Vee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming the prices in column C, =(C2-C1)/C1 or =C2/C1-1

Have you checked Google for tutorials?

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:59:10 -0400, "Srikanth Veera"
wrote:

I want to know information on two things.
i. Is there a tutorial sort of thing on the internet to learn excel
programming from scratch. I would like to see a user guide on how to as well
as some sample exercises to work on.

ii. I have a file that comes in a format as below :

Date Product Name Price Category
1/1/04 A1 100.00 High End
2/1/04 A1 105.00 High End
3/1/04 A1 135.00 High End
4/1/04 A1 175.00 High End
5/1/04 A1 205.00 High End
6/1/04 A1 215.00 High End
1/1/04 B1 100.00 High End
2/1/04 B1 105.00 High End
3/1/04 B1 135.00 High End

There are other products and other categories. I would like to get something
of the following format :
Date Product Name Price Category
Percentage change
1/1/04 A1 100.00 High End
Not applicable
2/1/04 A1 105.00 High End
=(New minus Old prices ) / price

Can someone help with the percentage changes ? Thanks
Srikanth Vee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Myrna.

Sorry I have forgotten to mention some details.
I have a huge file with lots of rows in it. Calculation of the percentage in
a spontaneous way is as easy as the formula.
( I had replied earlier with screen shots, but due to attachments, it was
not posted. Hence, I am sending it again withoug screen shots )

The format I want to look at the output is ( and I am sure pivot table can
provide it ) as follows :

Want to put the data in a pivot table format, so that I can use the check
boxes to select the required product or category( and these features are
already available in the pivot table ), the columns in the pivot table will
be something like ( I tried it again. the % of Price is something I could
edit in the name field. When I double click on % of Price field, I get the
pivot table field ( shown below )

Category (All)

% of Price
Product Date Price Total
A1 1/1/2004 100 100
2/1/2004 105 105
3/1/2004 135 135
4/1/2004 175 175
5/1/2004 205 205
B1 1/1/2004 215 215
2/1/2004 100 100
3/1/2004 105 105
Grand Total

The layout of the above is something like : ( I could get rid of the extra
sub totals to get the right format )

I tried the options under "Show data as :" which has percentage options. But
I can't edit the total column. And here is the problem. I want to rename
Total as Percentage and then have it use the formula that is being mentioned
by Larson.

So, we have all the details, and percentage is the final one. Remember that
there are a lot of categories, products etc. I want to load a file and the
data must be automatically presented in the pivot table. Seems straight
forward to me, but I am stuck at the automatic calculation of percentage.

Regarding the excel programming tutorials on Google, I have tried that too
and I get a lot of info, but am looking forward to any Excel MVP to point me
in the right direction.

Thanks

wrote:

I want to know information on two things.
i. Is there a tutorial sort of thing on the internet to learn excel
programming from scratch. I would like to see a user guide on how to as
well
as some sample exercises to work on.

ii. I have a file that comes in a format as below :

Date Product Name Price Category
1/1/04 A1 100.00 High End
2/1/04 A1 105.00 High End
3/1/04 A1 135.00 High End
4/1/04 A1 175.00 High End
5/1/04 A1 205.00 High End
6/1/04 A1 215.00 High End
1/1/04 B1 100.00 High End
2/1/04 B1 105.00 High End
3/1/04 B1 135.00 High End

There are other products and other categories. I would like to get
something
of the following format :
Date Product Name Price Category