Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Serious Crashing Problems in Excel 2002

Forgive me spamming this back to the front of the list - but desperatel
looking for some advice on this serious problem.
Thank

--
mike_tyre
mike_tyrer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1466

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike,

Here's my 2 cents. I had similar problems migrating from NT/XL97 to
XP/XL2002. There are XL2002 issues per Microsoft. Recommend you
investigate the known issues on http://msdn.microsoft.com/ by
searching for XL2002. However, based on your description and my
experience I'm guessing the primary problem is something in your code
or object names. Activex objects like checkboxes on worksheets can be
problematic. Also, make sure you use TakeFocusOnClick = False for any
buttons. Perhaps try ActiveCell.Activate at the beginning of your
code triggered by the checkboxes.

My guess is this could be a "focus" problem (i.e. the checkbox has
focus but your code is working on another object like a range).
Moreover, I'd look for anywhere you've used ".Select" and see if this
is really necessary. Most of the time you don't need to select the
object to work with it.

I'd also check the names everywhere (i.e. in code, named checkboxes,
sheet names, etc.) Make sure no reserved words are being used as
variable names, all variables are properly defined, etc. Also, try
long notation if applicable (i.e. fully qualify the objects):

Worksheets(1).Range("Test") = 0
instead of
Range("Test") = 0

Recommend only event procedures be on any worksheet modules. Move any
"custom" procedures to a standard module.

I've also had problems with XL2002's auto save interferring. Used
something like this to disable it.

Sub DisableAutoSave()
On Error Resume Next 'Needed for XL97 compatibilty
ShtSetup.Range("XPAutoRecovery") = Application.AutoRecover.Enabled
ShtSetup.Range("XPEnableRecovery") = ActiveWorkbook.EnableAutoRecover
Application.AutoRecover.Enabled = False
ActiveWorkbook.EnableAutoRecover = False
End Sub

Lastly, try to simplify code if possible. I know its frustrating
because it works on NT, but using generic/simple code might help.
Just some ideas.

Good luck,
Steve Hieb