Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Serious Crashing Problems in Excel 2002

I have built a number of autonomous stand-alone applications withi
Excel. They do not link to any outside source or require anythin
external to run. The applications were built on NT/Excel97. Th
application spreadsheets are around 1.5Mb. I make considerable use o
combo boxes from the control toolbox both on custom forms and embedde
into spreadsheets.

The applications run without problem on Excel97/NT and have run withou
problem on Excel2000/Win2000. Since migrating to Excel2002/XP I hav
had untold problems of unrecoverable crashes [Excel has encountered
problem and needs to close….]. The crashes are not consistent.

In desperation I rebuilt the application completely on Excel2002/XP an
this brought a lot more stability but still there are irrecoverabl
crashes and I am at my wits end with this and knowing what I coul
possible do next.

The types of problems I have experienced:

- After some code has run, user goes to insert a entire row
Application crashes - Excel needs to close message …..

- After some code has run, user goes to save file in a differen
location : Application crashes.

- When a section of code has finished running, the left side of th
screen is hidden under a grey panel. All the functionality of th
spreadsheet exists beneath the panel is you know where you cursor is
but you can not reset your screen or recover.

- Applications run soundly the first time they are run, when closed an
run again they then crash. This is a very consistent pattern.

- I notice that if I compile the code immediately before saving m
saved workbook is of the magnitude of 1.95Mb. The applications wil
normally crash once it is opened. If I do not compile the code, an
just save the workbook, the file size if 1.5Mb and far less likely t
crash when it is opened.

- on opening get error message: Microsoft Visual Basic in the captio
bar with a warning triangle in the body of the message: Can't exi
design mode because control cmdSave cannot be created

- get a similar message telling me a particular contro
"Sheet03.cmbCountry" does not exist. On sheet03, there is the contro
cmbCountry.

- code would run past a set of lines:

Sheet04.Range("rgStartPoint").Offset(2,0).Select
Selection.EntireRow.delete

and fail to delete the row.

I have been trying to get these applications stable for some time no
and just go from one problem to another. I have no idea of where t
look next or what next to do and would appreciate any pointers or hel
you may be able to give me.

What is really frustrating is that the applications run without an
problem under NT/97 or on an Excel2000 on a Win2000 box. They jus
will not run under XP

--
mike_tyre
mike_tyrer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1466

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My guess: garbage in temp directory.

close excel.
windows= strart = run %temp%
explorer will open the temp directory.

hmm... a lot of tmp and emf files?
you found your problem!

delete ALL files and sub directories the the temp directory.
(some files may be in use (deselect those and continue),
after cleanup your temp dir should genrally contain a max of 10 files.

keep the temp visible...

open excel and load on of your workbooks (with embedded controls)
look at the tmep dir and see how many tmp files are generated?

that's why i NEVER use embedded controls unless absolutely necessary.

keepITcool

mike_tyrer wrote:

I have built a number of autonomous stand-alone applications within
Excel. They do not link to any outside source or require anything
external to run. The applications were built on NT/Excel97. The
application spreadsheets are around 1.5Mb. I make considerable use of
combo boxes from the control toolbox both on custom forms and embedded
into spreadsheets.

The applications run without problem on Excel97/NT and have run

without
problem on Excel2000/Win2000. Since migrating to Excel2002/XP I have
had untold problems of unrecoverable crashes [Excel has encountered a
problem and needs to close….]. The crashes are not consistent.

In desperation I rebuilt the application completely on Excel2002/XP

and
this brought a lot more stability but still there are irrecoverable
crashes and I am at my wits end with this and knowing what I could
possible do next.

The types of problems I have experienced:

- After some code has run, user goes to insert a entire row :
Application crashes - Excel needs to close message …..

- After some code has run, user goes to save file in a different
location : Application crashes.

- When a section of code has finished running, the left side of the
screen is hidden under a grey panel. All the functionality of the
spreadsheet exists beneath the panel is you know where you cursor is,
but you can not reset your screen or recover.

- Applications run soundly the first time they are run, when closed

and
run again they then crash. This is a very consistent pattern.

- I notice that if I compile the code immediately before saving my
saved workbook is of the magnitude of 1.95Mb. The applications will
normally crash once it is opened. If I do not compile the code, and
just save the workbook, the file size if 1.5Mb and far less likely to
crash when it is opened.

- on opening get error message: Microsoft Visual Basic in the caption
bar with a warning triangle in the body of the message: Can't exit
design mode because control cmdSave cannot be created

- get a similar message telling me a particular control
"Sheet03.cmbCountry" does not exist. On sheet03, there is the control
cmbCountry.

- code would run past a set of lines:

Sheet04.Range("rgStartPoint").Offset(2,0).Select
Selection.EntireRow.delete

and fail to delete the row.

I have been trying to get these applications stable for some time now
and just go from one problem to another. I have no idea of where to
look next or what next to do and would appreciate any pointers or help
you may be able to give me.

What is really frustrating is that the applications run without any
problem under NT/97 or on an Excel2000 on a Win2000 box. They just
will not run under XP.