Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default xls filename with a number in brackets

I have a situation where a user downloads an xls file from the internet and
the process adds a number in brackets to the resulting filename.

Original file: 083104.xls
Result: 083104[1].xls

What causes this?
No biggie, just wondering.

GaryZ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gary -

One reason for this is downloading the file into a temporary directory which already has a file
with the same name. I've also seen it in some email systems, when an attachment is opened.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

GaryZ wrote:

I have a situation where a user downloads an xls file from the internet and
the process adds a number in brackets to the resulting filename.

Original file: 083104.xls
Result: 083104[1].xls

What causes this?
No biggie, just wondering.

GaryZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yep. That's it. Now, another question:

I did a Search of my hard drive for "083104[1].xls".

The Search found a file named "083104[1].xls" in the "c:\documents and
settings\<username\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent" folder.

That file turned out to be a shortcut to the Excel file in question.

Under the Properties of the shortcut, the Target is listed as "C:\Documents
and Settings\<username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\SB13M2RT\083104[1].xls".

However, when I look in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder there is no
"Content.IE5" folder, even with the display ordered by Name and Hidden files
and folders shown.

I just tried clicking on the shortcut. The spreadsheet opened, so it is
somewhere out there.

I closed out of Excel.

Then opened Excel again.

The spreadsheet was not listed amongst the four most recently opened files.

This is getting more curious by the minute.

Where exactly is "Content.IE5\SB13M2RT\083104[1].xls"?

Thanks for your help so far.

GaryZ

GaryZ wrote:

I have a situation where a user downloads an xls file from the internet and
the process adds a number in brackets to the resulting filename.

Original file: 083104.xls
Result: 083104[1].xls

What causes this?
No biggie, just wondering.

GaryZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another twist to this mystery:

I'm using Internet Explorer V 6. So why does the Target point to
Content.IE5? That's the V 5 folder. There is no Content.IE5, 6, or anything
else folder. The shortcut is not that old. It has the shortcut filename is
"083104[1].xls" which is the file downloaded Yesterday using IE 6.

This is getting really weird!

It's like my computer is holding the file hostage and won't let me get to
its location. lol!

GaryZ wrote:

I have a situation where a user downloads an xls file from the internet and
the process adds a number in brackets to the resulting filename.

Original file: 083104.xls
Result: 083104[1].xls

What causes this?
No biggie, just wondering.

GaryZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just checked the Create Date of the 083104[1].xls shortcut file and it WAS
created Yesterday.

Great. our clients won't be able to locate the spreadsheet. They'll be
calling us for help. The problem is we can't locate it either! This is
rediculous! lol!

GaryZ wrote:

I have a situation where a user downloads an xls file from the internet and
the process adds a number in brackets to the resulting filename.

Original file: 083104.xls
Result: 083104[1].xls

What causes this?
No biggie, just wondering.

GaryZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jaf jaf is offline

Hi Gary,
It's there.
It's burried in your temp. internet files folder.
Make sure you have "hide protected operating system files" disabled in
windows explorertoolsoptionsfolder options, the view tab.

--

John
johnf202 at hotmail dot com

GaryZ wrote:

I have a situation where a user downloads an xls file from the internet
and
the process adds a number in brackets to the resulting filename.

Original file: 083104.xls
Result: 083104[1].xls

What causes this?
No biggie, just wondering.

GaryZ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I still use win98 and can get to those special folders via:

Windows start button|run|Winfile
(Windows 3.x old file manager)
The names of the files/folders are 8.3 format, but you can usually translate
(well, sometimes...).

Or I can open windows explorer and then rightclick on the C: drive
choose properties
on the General Tab, click the Disk cleanup button
On the next dialog, I can choose the disk cleanup tab and select "temporary
internet files"
then click on View files.

I'm not sure how many newer versions of Windows can still do this, though.

GaryZ wrote:

I have a situation where a user downloads an xls file from the internet and
the process adds a number in brackets to the resulting filename.

Original file: 083104.xls
Result: 083104[1].xls

What causes this?
No biggie, just wondering.

GaryZ

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave,

Seems that even though my computer's OS is Win XP, it couldn't find
winfile. However, going through Explorer C: Properties, I was able to find
the file.

Anyway, a tech guy here explained it to me this way: When you open an
Excel spreadsheet (or any file) on an internet site, the internet copy of
the file's application (Excel in this case) is used (NOT the local copy).
Therefore, when you save the file via the Save (green diskette) icon, it is
put into the Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\SB13M2RT folder. He said to
always use the File/Save As option to specify a location for the file.

That internet copy of Excel would also explain why the spreadsheet was
not listed amongst the recent files in my local Excel.

Let's consider this topic SOLVED!

Thanks for all your help.