Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default What do these characters mean?

Hi,

1. Exclamation point
------------------------
It is the delimiter between the sheet name and the cell address on that sheet.
Eg:
if you wanna know the value of cell A1 of the sheet where you are, no need
of specifying the sheet name:
= A1
But the cell is on another sheet , you need to give the sheet name:
=MySheet!A1
Now if the sheet name contains special caracters (eg: a space) then enclose
the sheet name with apostrophe:
='My Sheet'!A1
To extend this idea, you could even ask for the cell located on a closed
workbook. The full syntax is:
='path_to_book\[book_name]Sheet_name'!cell_address

2. Dollar Sign
Check for online-help about "The difference between relative and absolute