Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Max Hex characters set to ten?

I need to track MAC address, which are hex based.
to be able to create a reliable "fill down" I created the following
formual.

=dec2hex(hex2dec(A2)+2)

Takes the hex data from the above cell (A1), converts to decimal adds 2
then converts back to hex. but only works for 10 characters.

My problem is that the MAC adress is 12 characters long.
=dec2hex(hex2dec(C6)+2, 12)
responds with the "#NUM" error.

Is there a way to adjust character limit?

--
derrick.burns@l
derrick.burns@l's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36855

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"derrick.burns@l"
<derrick.burnsl.2bm9js_1154024707.1877@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:derrick.burnsl.2bm9js_1154024707.1877@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

I need to track MAC address, which are hex based.
to be able to create a reliable "fill down" I created the following
formual.

=dec2hex(hex2dec(A2)+2)

Takes the hex data from the above cell (A1), converts to decimal adds 2
then converts back to hex. but only works for 10 characters.

My problem is that the MAC adress is 12 characters long.
=dec2hex(hex2dec(C6)+2, 12)
responds with the "#NUM" error.

Is there a way to adjust character limit?

Help for DEC2HEX says: If number < -549,755,813,888 or if number
549,755,813,887, DEC2HEX returns the #NUM! error value.

If you don't actually need numbers that large but want leading zeroes to pad
out to 12 characters, you might be able to use
="00"&DEC2HEX(HEX2DEC(A2)+2,10)
but remember that the output is text, not a number.
--
David Biddulph