Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help in saving a formula.

I have a long formula (below) that I want to be able to
use on any worksheet (current, previously saved, or new).
How can I save it or store it so that it is always
available, like the pull down lists in Functions. I know
this is probably a very basic operation, but I'm not up on
too much beyond the basics of EXCEL.

=MID(LEFT(CELL("filename",A1), FIND ("]", CELL
("filename",A1))- 1), FIND("[",CELL("filename", A1))+1,
255)

Thanks,
Joe B
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Joe

as it's not evaluating any inputs i wouldn't save it as a "user defined
function", i would instead -
copy the formula
choose
tools / autocorrect options
in the replace with type something odd (like ffname)
and the paste the formula into the "with box"
now everytime you want to use it type
ffname
and press enter

Cheers
JulieD

"Joe B" wrote in message
I have a long formula (below) that I want to be able to
use on any worksheet (current, previously saved, or new).
How can I save it or store it so that it is always
available, like the pull down lists in Functions. I know
this is probably a very basic operation, but I'm not up on
too much beyond the basics of EXCEL.

=MID(LEFT(CELL("filename",A1), FIND ("]", CELL
("filename",A1))- 1), FIND("[",CELL("filename", A1))+1,
255)

Thanks,
Joe B

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Julie. Works fine. Even though it took me four
tries to type the formula in correctly!