Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default scope/ lifetime of variable

Hi Jeff,

One way:

At the top of Module 1, before any procedures, type

Public vbackup As String

and remove

Dim vbackup As String

from your MYPaths sub.

---
Regards,
Norman

"jeffP" wrote in message
HI all,
I'm so confused about this.
I've declared a variable and assigned a value in one module and want to
use
it in another (or a few) but I seem to lose the value once I leave the
standard module that I started from. I've include a code example of what
I'm
trying to do.
Any help is always appreciated.

--
jeff

.. I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

'in module1
Public Sub MYPaths()
Dim vbackup As String
vbackup = Sheets("mypaths").Range("d2").Value
Debug.Print vbackup
' this works fine and I view the value perfectly in immediate window
end sub

'in module2
Public Sub Test()
debug.print vbackup
'returns nothing in the immediate window
end sub

Variable Scope Kevin Excel Programming 1 September 14th 04 07:05 PM
Variable scope TonyM Excel Programming 5 April 24th 04 01:02 PM
Scope of a public variable Jos Vens Excel Programming 0 November 24th 03 10:08 AM
Scope of Public Variable Dkline[_2_] Excel Programming 9 October 22nd 03 04:53 PM
module-level variable lifetime Jessie[_2_] Excel Programming 0 July 30th 03 09:31 PM