-   -   scope/ lifetime of variable (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/310365-re-scope-lifetime-variable.html)

Norman Jones

scope/ lifetime of variable

Hi Jeff,

One way:

At the top of Module 1, before any procedures, type

Public vbackup As String

and remove

Dim vbackup As String

from your MYPaths sub.

---
Regards,
Norman

"jeffP" wrote in message
HI all,
I'm so confused about this.
I've declared a variable and assigned a value in one module and want to
use
it in another (or a few) but I seem to lose the value once I leave the
standard module that I started from. I've include a code example of what
I'm
trying to do.
Any help is always appreciated.

--
jeff

.. I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

'in module1
Public Sub MYPaths()
Dim vbackup As String
vbackup = Sheets("mypaths").Range("d2").Value
Debug.Print vbackup
' this works fine and I view the value perfectly in immediate window
end sub

'in module2
Public Sub Test()
debug.print vbackup
'returns nothing in the immediate window
end sub