Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Writing to a closed workbook

Hi All

Is there any way that I can write to a closed workbook? It can b
presumed that a check has already been made to ensure that this fil
does exist before attempting to write to it - but I need to be able t
write to this workbook without having to open it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Deepak,

The usual appoach is to turn srcreen updating off | open the file , write
the data | close the file | turn screen updating on. This effectively hides
the operation.

---
Regards,
Norman

"agarwaldvk " wrote in message
Hi All

Is there any way that I can write to a closed workbook? It can be
presumed that a check has already been made to ensure that this file
does exist before attempting to write to it - but I need to be able to
write to this workbook without having to open it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe this would be possible using ADO to treat the workbook like a
database.

But you can turn off screen updating, open a workbook, write your values, and
close it, without the user (probably) noticing what has happened.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:12:43 -0500, agarwaldvk
wrote:

Hi All

Is there any way that I can write to a closed workbook? It can be
presumed that a check has already been made to ensure that this file
does exist before attempting to write to it - but I need to be able to
write to this workbook without having to open it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Myrna

How would I be able to treat the workbook as a database using ADO? I
that something that is possible to do from within Excel?

Otherwise, I don't mind doing as both of you have suggested but jus
out of interest would like to know, anyway!

Best regards

Deepak Agarwa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't have any sample code at the tips of my fingers, but I've seen it in
several books on Access programming. It looks to me as though the data in
Excel must be laid out as a "list", i.e. you can't just write willy-nilly to
any cells on any worksheet.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:28:01 -0500, agarwaldvk
wrote:

Myrna

How would I be able to treat the workbook as a database using ADO? Is
that something that is possible to do from within Excel?

Otherwise, I don't mind doing as both of you have suggested but just
out of interest would like to know, anyway!

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HOWTO: Use ADO with Excel Data from Visual Basic or VBA

For sample connection strings you can see Able-Computing

http://www.able-consulting.com/tech.htm

Tom Ogilvy

wrote:

Myrna

How would I be able to treat the workbook as a database using ADO? Is
that something that is possible to do from within Excel?

Otherwise, I don't mind doing as both of you have suggested but just
out of interest would like to know, anyway!

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Check out this site kids,

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...nvbadacwbdbado

cheers
Ross
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ross/Tom

Thanks a lot! Both very useful and helpful!

Deepa