Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to check "Always trust macros from this published" when securityis set to high?

Hi,

I have created a custom cert in Office 2003 and attached it to VBA code.

On the computer (Office 2003) which create this cert, when excel
security is set to high, I was able to check "Always trust macros from
this published" and thus enable the macro.

Then I copy the same file to another computer, the security is also set
the high, but this time the "Always trust macros from this published" is
not checked. (grey out). How to check this box?

Thanks
Nick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JK JK is offline

Nick,
Please tell me how you created your cert. Up to now I've been paying
Verisign a healthy sum to do it.

Regarding your issue, I don't know. Perhaps if you teach me how to create
the cert, we can solve the problem together.

Regards,
Jim Kobzeff

"Nick" wrote in message

I have created a custom cert in Office 2003 and attached it to VBA code.

On the computer (Office 2003) which create this cert, when excel security
is set to high, I was able to check "Always trust macros from this
published" and thus enable the macro.

Then I copy the same file to another computer, the security is also set
the high, but this time the "Always trust macros from this published" is
not checked. (grey out). How to check this box?

Thanks
Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nick

Self-certs are for use on one computer only. See Help on Certificates.

If you make it a "trusted certificate" through MMC and export the *.cer file
to the other computer, you will be able to use it.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"Nick" wrote in message

I have created a custom cert in Office 2003 and attached it to VBA code.

On the computer (Office 2003) which create this cert, when excel security
is set to high, I was able to check "Always trust macros from this
published" and thus enable the macro.

Then I copy the same file to another computer, the security is also set
the high, but this time the "Always trust macros from this published" is
not checked. (grey out). How to check this box?

Thanks
Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The cert is created by selfcert.exe, under the Office root folder

This is not install by the default installation, you need add it
manually. (add/remove program -Office -Change Installation - Digital
Sig. for VBA ) something like that.

Nick

"Nick" wrote in message

I have created a custom cert in Office 2003 and attached it to VBA code.

On the computer (Office 2003) which create this cert, when excel security
is set to high, I was able to check "Always trust macros from this
published" and thus enable the macro.

Then I copy the same file to another computer, the security is also set
the high, but this time the "Always trust macros from this published" is
not checked. (grey out). How to check this box?

Thanks
Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I got your point.

But is there any fast method for deploying these "trusted cert" on other
computers?

Thanks!

Nick

"Nick" wrote in message

I have created a custom cert in Office 2003 and attached it to VBA code.

On the computer (Office 2003) which create this cert, when excel security
is set to high, I was able to check "Always trust macros from this
published" and thus enable the macro.

Then I copy the same file to another computer, the security is also set
the high, but this time the "Always trust macros from this published" is
not checked. (grey out). How to check this box?

Thanks
Nick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Nick,

I have created a custom cert in Office 2003 and attached it to VBA code.

On the computer (Office 2003) which create this cert, when excel
security is set to high, I was able to check "Always trust macros from
this published" and thus enable the macro.

Then I copy the same file to another computer, the security is also set
the high, but this time the "Always trust macros from this published" is
not checked. (grey out). How to check this box?

In general, certificates created using selfcert are not trustable on other
machines. If this is only one or two machines, you might be able to export
the selfcert certificate using Start Settings Control Panel Internet
Options Content Certificates and import it on the other machine, but
I've never tried it.

If you want to have a fully-trustable certificate, you'll need to buy one,
eg from www.thawte.com

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel