Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Data Form Insert Count to add to Summary Sheet

Hello again
What I 'm wondering is if there is a way to count the
number of records that are added to a list on one sheet.
Ex. I want the Data Form from the Data Menu to open up.
If a user enters data on that particular sheet I want a
count done on the entries or deletion of entries,and then
due to those changes I would like to have a summary sheet
insert/delete a number of rows that coincides with the
number of entries or deletions on the original sheet.
Also is there a way to specify which cell on the summary
sheet the rows will be inserted at. The Text that is in
the cell that I would click on manually to insert the rows
at, is "Jan-04 Average" which is also always in the same
column but its row location will change as records are
added. I'm sure there is a way to search the
Summary/destination worksheet for that particular cell
value and then insert rows above that cell.
If there was a way to view the Data Forms code I'm sure I
could figure out a way to do this, but otherwise I've got
no clue where to start. Thank you everyone.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On way would be to name the cell (insert = Name = define), then excel will
track where it is at. If you named it AVG, you can assess its location
with

msgbox Range("avg").Row

The Dataform is an intrinsic part of Excel, so the code is part of the
compiled code in Excel.exe and its associated files. It is not available for
examination or modification. John Walkenbach has an improved data form you
can download for free and get access to the source code for a nominal fee.
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel or you can write your own.

Tom Ogilvy

"Matt P." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks The defined name works great.
For the data form, I'd rather not pay the nominal fee If I
can't play with the code to see if it can do what I want.
A lot of my data is dates and the site says that there may
be conflicts with dates. Is there a way outside of the
data form that can count the number of new entries based
on the size of the usedrange, etc.
Thanks Tom.

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Only way I could think of is to use the selectionchange event to count the
number of entries an compare that number to a base number (the number of
entries at the start). That would give you the net difference. Other than
that, maybe make a copy of the data on a hidden sheet at startup, then write
code to do a comparison on the current data set and establish the
appropriate statistics.

Tom Ogilvy

"Matt P." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey Tom, I tried to figure out using the SelectionChange
but I was not successful. If possible could you give me a
starting point.
I have an idea of the algorithm which might be used but I
have no clue of the syntax. I'm not quite sure of how
the Selectionchange works(methods allowed etc.)

I would have to define a name for the current used
selection on the original worksheet. Then create an
integer value based on the number of rows/records in that
selection. Then add/delete rows/records and create a new
defined name for the new selection.
Then create an integer value based on the number of
rows/records in the new selection.
Then compare the values of the two and store that
comparison value.
If comparison value < 0
delete (comparison value) or rows on summary worksheet
If Comparison value = 0
do nothing and exit
If Comparison value 0
add (comparison value) or rows on summary worksheet.

I believe that I understand what nees to be done Just not
how to code it. If you can help that would be great if
not thank you for getting me this far.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think you would do this using an event. This looks more like a once
a day type of macro or user initiated macro.

What identifies a record uniquely? The value in column A?

Basically you are doing a list compare if you archive a copy of the list at
the beginning of the session. Does every record appear on the summary sheet
(i.e. it isn't a summary)?

Tom Ogilvy