Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Formulas

I need to make a formula for a gradebook. I have a row,
say "F" is the students name, and all their grades for
classwork, quizzes, and tests. The row above "E" is used
to determine what kind of grade they are getting...
classwork, quiz, or test. I already have row "F"
averaging into "F18" for the students grade, but the
problem I am having is that if "E22" is for Quiz, then I
need the grade in "F22" to be averaged twice for the final
grade. If it was to be a test then it would average three
times. I need help, I am hitting a brick wall.
THanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

the same question appeared recently in the excel.misc group and was answered
by Steve as follows:
---snip

Just change the formula...If you have assigned a "quiz" in
say, cell B3, then in your formula, you simply
have "B3*2", and for "test", if that is in say, cell B4,
then you go "B4*3"...

----snip

does this help?

Cheers
JulieD

" wrote in message
I need to make a formula for a gradebook. I have a row,
say "F" is the students name, and all their grades for
classwork, quizzes, and tests. The row above "E" is used
to determine what kind of grade they are getting...
classwork, quiz, or test. I already have row "F"
averaging into "F18" for the students grade, but the
problem I am having is that if "E22" is for Quiz, then I
need the grade in "F22" to be averaged twice for the final
grade. If it was to be a test then it would average three
times. I need help, I am hitting a brick wall.
THanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have a drop down list where the type of assignment goes
in, so there is no telling what type of assignment will be
in the box, so I need to set up whe if B2 is quiz,
average twice, if B2 is test average three times, or
something, I'm stummped, and school has already started.
ooops.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in F18

=(if(E22="quiz",2,if(E22="test",3,1))*F22+(other
grades))/(if(e22="quiz",2,if(E22=Test,3,1))+(count of other grades))

Tom Ogilvy