Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formatting a new seriescollection in a chart object

I have a VB6 app that creates some SeriesCollections in a chart

chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries

where chtChart is defined as

Dim chtChart As Excel.ChartObject

I need to know how to tell the chart that the new series is a vertical bar
or a horizontal line. I've been unsuccessfull in identifying this property
when playing around in Excel.

Any help you can give me is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Willman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

do you mean whether the chart is to be a Column Chart or a Bar Chart?

Are you talking about the whole chart or is it a mixed chart

or are you talking about something else, where the line might be an
indicator of a goal value or the current date as an example.

Tom Ogilvy

"Paul Willman" wrote in message
I have a VB6 app that creates some SeriesCollections in a chart

chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries

where chtChart is defined as

Dim chtChart As Excel.ChartObject

I need to know how to tell the chart that the new series is a vertical bar
or a horizontal line. I've been unsuccessfull in identifying this

property
when playing around in Excel.

Any help you can give me is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Willman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).ChartType = xlLineMarkers

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).ChartType = xlColumnClustered

would be the basic approach.

Tom Ogilvy

"Paul Willman" wrote in message
Sorry, Tom, let me be a bit clearer.

I'm not worried about the chart type - the chart type is a custom
line/column chart, where you have one or more lines crossing from left to
right and one or more columns rising from the bottom, each indicating a
specific data range.

When I add a new series to the chart, i'm trying to figure out how to tell
the data series whether it is a column or a line.

I hope this better describes my issue.

Thanks,

Paul