-   -   Formatting a new seriescollection in a chart object (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/307882-formatting-new-seriescollection-chart-object.html)

Paul Willman

Formatting a new seriescollection in a chart object

I have a VB6 app that creates some SeriesCollections in a chart

chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries

where chtChart is defined as

Dim chtChart As Excel.ChartObject

I need to know how to tell the chart that the new series is a vertical bar
or a horizontal line. I've been unsuccessfull in identifying this property
when playing around in Excel.

Any help you can give me is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Willman

Tom Ogilvy

Formatting a new seriescollection in a chart object

do you mean whether the chart is to be a Column Chart or a Bar Chart?

Are you talking about the whole chart or is it a mixed chart

or are you talking about something else, where the line might be an
indicator of a goal value or the current date as an example.

Tom Ogilvy

"Paul Willman" wrote in message
I have a VB6 app that creates some SeriesCollections in a chart

chtChart.Chart.SeriesCollection.NewSeries

where chtChart is defined as

Dim chtChart As Excel.ChartObject

I need to know how to tell the chart that the new series is a vertical bar
or a horizontal line. I've been unsuccessfull in identifying this

property
when playing around in Excel.

Any help you can give me is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Willman

Tom Ogilvy

Formatting a new seriescollection in a chart object

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).ChartType = xlLineMarkers

ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2).ChartType = xlColumnClustered

would be the basic approach.

Tom Ogilvy

"Paul Willman" wrote in message
Sorry, Tom, let me be a bit clearer.

I'm not worried about the chart type - the chart type is a custom
line/column chart, where you have one or more lines crossing from left to
right and one or more columns rising from the bottom, each indicating a
specific data range.

When I add a new series to the chart, i'm trying to figure out how to tell
the data series whether it is a column or a line.

I hope this better describes my issue.

Thanks,

Paul