Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default macro using PROPER function

Dear all,

I have a Excel sheet with 13,000 names and address that are all i
upper case. Is there way to automate the Proper function so that th
cases are corrected? That is, the first character of the first an
last names is in upper case and rest in lower case. I'm rather new t
using macros in Excel.

Thanks in advance!
-Chri

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
see:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Dear all,

I have a Excel sheet with 13,000 names and address that are all in
upper case. Is there way to automate the Proper function so that the
cases are corrected? That is, the first character of the first and
last names is in upper case and rest in lower case. I'm rather new

using macros in Excel.

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This sounds like a one time job.
Do not use a macro.
Assuming Names and Addresses are in columns A & B
Insert two columns at C
In the new C =Proper(A1)
In the new D =Proper(B1)
Select C1:D1, Copy Down.
Select C:D, Copy, Paste Special Values.
Inspect and edit.
Delete Columns A:B

Stephen Rasey
Houston
http://wiserways.com
http://excelsig.org

"CLew " wrote in message
Dear all,

I have a Excel sheet with 13,000 names and address that are all in
upper case. Is there way to automate the Proper function so that the
cases are corrected? That is, the first character of the first and
last names is in upper case and rest in lower case. I'm rather new to
using macros in Excel.

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chris,

Here is some simple code

Dim cell As Range

For Each cell In Selection
cell.Value = WorksheetFunction.Proper(cell.Value)
Next cell

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"CLew " wrote in message
Dear all,

I have a Excel sheet with 13,000 names and address that are all in
upper case. Is there way to automate the Proper function so that the
cases are corrected? That is, the first character of the first and
last names is in upper case and rest in lower case. I'm rather new to
using macros in Excel.

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I followed Stephen's advic
regarding pasting special values into new columns since it seemed th
easiest. But I'll definately keep all of it on record for the nex
time I get set of lists from the distributor!

All the best,
Chri