Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Auto New macros?

Excel Help says "Automatic macros, such as Auto_Open, are
designed to run when you start Excel. For more information
about these macros, see Microsoft Visual Basic Help."

When I look in VB Help, however, I can't find any
reference to automatic macros.

What I need is the code for a macro to run automatically
whenever a user creates a new workbook based on my
template. The template is protected so the user can only
enter data in specific cells.

I presently have the following macro:

Sub Auto_New()

With ActiveWindow
.DisplayHeadings = False
.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = False
.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = False
.DisplayWorkbookTabs = False
End With
End Sub

The macro will not run unless you specifically select
Tools, Macro, Run... etc., which obviously defeats the
point!

Can someone give me a really quick response?

Cheers,
Christine
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Put you macro in the Workbook_Open event and you can restrict it to creation
with code like

if thisworkbook.path = "" then
' the workbook has just been created

End if

before a workbook is saved, it doesn't have a path, so this would indicate
it was just created with your template.

Tom Ogilvy

"Christine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming