Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Lookup Help

I have a small database of customers and products. I am
using this database to compose quotes and invoices. I
have quite a few products and would like to be able to
enter the product number and have the description and unit
price entered automatically.

I have never done this before and have searched the
internet on how to do this, but have come up empty. I was
wondering if someone could explain to me (in pretty basic
terms) how to go about doing this. It seems as though I
may be making this more difficult than it is. Thanks for
the help in advance.

P.S. I would also be willing to email a small sample file
to someone if they would think that this would make things
easier.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should use the VLOOKUP function. E.g.,

=VLOOKUP(product_number,database_range,column,FALS E)

See help for VLOOKUP for more information.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"dyowell" wrote in message
I have a small database of customers and products. I am
using this database to compose quotes and invoices. I
have quite a few products and would like to be able to
enter the product number and have the description and unit
price entered automatically.

I have never done this before and have searched the
internet on how to do this, but have come up empty. I was
wondering if someone could explain to me (in pretty basic
terms) how to go about doing this. It seems as though I
may be making this more difficult than it is. Thanks for
the help in advance.

P.S. I would also be willing to email a small sample file
to someone if they would think that this would make things
easier.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

if you'ld like to email me direct (julied_ng at hcts dot net do au) i
can send you a workbook that does this ... you can then customise it as you
wish.

Cheers
JulieD