Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default formulas for pivot table data

Hi,

Is there a straightforward way to make the following kind of check of a
large dataset?

The dataset looks like this:

year ethnicgroup agegrouping city number
1998 latin 15-19 London 989
1998 latin 20-24 London 788
1998 latin 25-29 London 227
1998 latin 30-34 London 675
2000 asian 20-25 London 229
2000 asian 30-34 London 221
2000 asian 50-55 London 387
2000 caucasian 16-24 New York 3356
2000 caucasian 60-65 New York 372

This is a very large dataset covering many cities, age groupings and
ethnic groups.

There is standard set of agegroupings by which most cities report their
data: for example ages 15-19,20-24,25-29,30-34, and so on.

Some cities report in this standard way. Others don't but are
non-standard, for example, NY 2000 age grouping 16-24.

I'd like to separate out of the dataset all those cities with
corresponding year, ethnic group and values which use the standard age
groupings and put them in one excel worksheet.

And to put the remaining non-standard data (cities and their
corresponding year and ethnicity info that don't use this standard set
of age groupings) in another excel worksheet.

How would you suggest I do this? I'd appreciate any ideas or
suggestions on how to go about this.

Matthew Donnelly

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in column E, put in a formula like this

=if(iserror(match(C2,{"15-19","20-24","25-29","30-34"},0)),"Non-Standard","S
tandard")

Drag fill this down the column

now you can apply an autofilter, filter on column E and copy the data to
another sheet (only the visible rows will be copied). First filter on
Non-Standard, do the copy and paste, then Standard, do the copy and paste

Or you could create a pivot table and make column E one of the page fields
(add a header in E1 such as Standard)

Tom Ogilvy