Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Adding columns

where there is no value in one of the columns - with this
formula =IF(M8=O8,Q8+N8-1,Q8+N8)
- it says "# Value" in the column and does not carry the
total over on the one column with a total in it - is there
something I can do to get the same result when one column
is empty example below

Column A B c D E f G
03/03/04 03/03/04 1 03/03/04 003/05/04 2 3

03/03/04 03/03/04 1 #value

in the second row colum G I would like it to be able to
carry the one over from column C -- so g needs to
recognize when B and D are the same and subract one but
also needs to carry over colmn C when there is noting in F

Thanks Katherine
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
I would assume the cells are not really empty but contain the formua
result "". Try the following:
=IF(M8=O8,N(Q8)+N(N8)-1,N(Q8)+N(N8)

or use:
=IF(M8=O8,SUM(Q8,N8)-1,SUM(Q8,N8))

and as stated in the previous thread shortened to:
=SUM(Q8,N8)-(M8=O8)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Katherine" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
where there is no value in one of the columns - with this
formula =IF(M8=O8,Q8+N8-1,Q8+N8)
- it says "# Value" in the column and does not carry the
total over on the one column with a total in it - is there
something I can do to get the same result when one column
is empty example below

Column A B c D E f G
03/03/04 03/03/04 1 03/03/04 003/05/04 2 3

03/03/04 03/03/04 1 #value

in the second row colum G I would like it to be able to
carry the one over from column C -- so g needs to
recognize when B and D are the same and subract one but
also needs to carry over colmn C when there is noting in F

Thanks Katherine

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Hi Frank,
I tried that one -- I still have one little problem - if
the cells contain no information it recognizes them as
equaling and -1 from 0 in my final column - is there a way
for it to recognize a empty cell? and not do anything in
this formula - other than this minor detail - it is
working perfect for all other purposes

Thanks for your time

Katherine
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
try
=SUM(Q8,N8)-(M8=O8)*(M8<"")

or try:
=IF(M8="","",IF(M8=O8,SUM(Q8,N8)-1,SUM(Q8,N8)))

--
Regards
Frank Kabel