Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reading data from a database

Can anyone offer any general principles and the names of the
appropriate VBA objects and how I would use them in order that I might
achieve the following.

I have an Excel application which uses data from the database of an
accounting system. At the moment the user has to run a report from the
a/c system and output this as a .txt file. They then transfer the file
from the a/c system server to their local PC, and Excel VBA then opens
up the file, parses it and copies it into a worksheet in the Excel
application

I'd like to cut out this intermediate step and have Excel read the
data from the appropriate table(s) in the database. Never having done
this I'm not clear on the syntax and general procedures I need to
code.

All help gratefully received.

Rgds

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If the accounting system has a proprietary database, then you would have to
consult the authors of the accounting system. If the database resides in
SQL Server of some other commercial database application, then you can
probably read the data using ADO

DAO/ADO
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...php?t=envbadac

Tom Ogilvy