Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Default READING DATA FROM COLUMNS

hOW CAN i READ THE CONTENTS OF A TWO COLUMN LIST AND PRODUCE A SEPERATE
COLUMN CONSISTING OF THE DATA IN COLUMN B OF THE ORIGINAL LIST ONLY WHEN
COLUMN A CONTAINS THE SAME DATA
IE

A 1 B 4
B 4 B 3
C 2
A 2
B 3
C 4

--
Thanks Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is feature called autofilter that does exactly what you want. First
put a header cell on top of columns A&B. Click on A1 and pull-down:

Data FIlter AutoFilter

You can then set the filter to display only the rows with B in column A.
Copy the data and paste it elsewhere. Then turnoff the autofilter.

You will see that the correct data has been pasted.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200759

"Bob" wrote:

hOW CAN i READ THE CONTENTS OF A TWO COLUMN LIST AND PRODUCE A SEPERATE
COLUMN CONSISTING OF THE DATA IN COLUMN B OF THE ORIGINAL LIST ONLY WHEN
COLUMN A CONTAINS THE SAME DATA
IE

A 1 B 4
B 4 B 3
C 2
A 2
B 3
C 4

--
Thanks Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Bob is offline

Thanks for that, it does help, I am trying to get info out of a GED file,
consisting of one column of info that I am able to split into three columns
by using a left,mid or right formulae and use your solution to pick out the
names. The other thing I want to select is the dates, these are listed

NAME Fred Bloggs
(other lines of info)
BIRTH
DATE 24 OCT 1880
(other lines of info)
BAPM
DATE 26 OCT 1880
(otherhlines of info)
DEAT
DATE 20 JUNE 1930
(More info)
(more info)
NAME John Smith
etc

can you see that autofilter would get every date and not just the date under
the word BIRT and sometimes there is no BAPM or DEAT date, can you help? If
there is no way of doing this I will just have to do it manually and thanks
again for the solution you gave me.
--
Thanks Bob