Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sheet Name

Hi Jonathan

welcome to the world of Excel VBA
you're basically sitting right on top of the answer ...
"I want to capture the active worksheet name ..."

to get the name just use

dim sname as string

sname = activesheet.name

********

all you had to do was figure out what object you were talking about and then
press the fullstop and a list of the properties & methods will be displayed

Cheers
JulieD
If you'ld like to email me direct i have some notes that you might be
interested in (julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au)

"Jonathan Cooper" wrote in
message ...
I'm trying to learn VBA for Excel. I've got a macro mostly hacked

together.
There is one part I can't figure out though.

When the macro runs, I want to capture the active worksheet name and store
it in a variable. Then after the macro finishes, I want to go back and
select that sheet again. Seems like such a simple thing to do but I can't
figure out where the darn worksheet name is stored.

Also, since I'm just learning VBA, if you could tell me how I should have
been able to figure out where the name is stored, that would be even

better.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jeff

sorry .. didn't notice that - i was really sure the list came up when i
pressed the "." ... i must admit i did play around with some other
constructs too so must have got confused!

Cheers
JulieD

"JulieD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your both correct. I was messing around with activesheet I typed the "." and
nothing showed up, so I assumed that I couldn't get it from there.

Now, as to my second question. Lets say you hadn't told me the answer. I'm
sitting there and I'm trying to figure out where the name is stored. No one
is here to help me. How would I figure it out? I'm missing something
(probably something simple). Mechanically, how would I go about figureing
this out? Do I search help for 'worksheet name' ?

"JulieD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Almost every object has a name property. So you could have looked in the
object browser in the VBE to see if the worksheet object had a name
property.

Another way would have been to go to the project explorer and click on the
worksheet in the tree. Hit the F4 button to see the properties (if the
properties window isn't already open).

Tom Ogilvy

"Jonathan Cooper" wrote in
message ...

"JulieD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jonathan

the object browser - under view / object browser in the VBE has a list of
all the objects and their properties / methods. put the word worksheet in
the top next to the binoculars and then click on them all some things will
come up in the top half of the screen & the bottom half of the screen will
scroll to the word "worksheeet" ... all the properties & methods of the
worksheet will be displayed on the right

(BTW to "close" the object browser, right mouse click on it and choose hide)

Hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"Jonathan Cooper" wrote in