Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Microsoft Script: <x:NameAuto_Close</x:Name causes errors

WindowsXP
OfficeXP
Excel2002

Hello,

I received from Corporate several Report.xls that I need t
consolidate.

Most annoyingly when I open or close some of these workbooks I get th
following error:

Cannot find [XYZ], which has been assigned to run each tim
[WorkbookName] is {opened|closed}. Continuing could cause errors
Cancel {opening|closing} [WorkbookName]?

YES/NO

It took me the longest time to discover that Excel 2002 (don't kno
since which excel version this is there) has a Microsoft Scrip
Editor.

So I went there and searched for [XYZ] I found this section of code

Code
-------------------

<x:SupBook
<x:Path\SALESOUT\SALESOUT.XLM</x:Path
<x:SheetNameSALESOUT</x:SheetName
<x:Xct
<x:Count2</x:Count
<x:SheetIndex0</x:SheetIndex
<x:Crn
<x:Row23</x:Row
<x:ColFirst1</x:ColFirst
<x:ColLast1</x:ColLast
<x:TextAddSalesMenu(a)</x:Text
</x:Crn
<x:Crn
<x:Row29</x:Row
<x:ColFirst1</x:ColFirst
<x:ColLast1</x:ColLast
<x:TextDeleteSalesMenu()</x:Text
</x:Crn
</x:Xct
</x:SupBook
<x:ExcelName
<x:NameAuto_Close</x:Name
<x:Formula='\SALESOUT\[SALESOUT.XLM]SALESOUT'!$B$30</x:Formula
</x:ExcelName
<x:ExcelName
<x:NameAuto_Open</x:Name
<x:Formula='\SALESOUT\[SALESOUT.XLM]SALESOUT'!$B$24</x:Formula
</x:ExcelName
<x:ExcelName
<x:NameDISTY_Start</x:Name
<x:Formula=RAW!$A$1</x:Formula
</x:ExcelName
<x:ExcelName
<x:NamePrint_Titles</x:Name
<x:SheetIndex1</x:SheetIndex
<x:Formula=RAW!$1:$1</x:Formula
</x:ExcelName

-------------------

So I deleted it. :) When I saved the document from within the editor
the workbook started flashing, giveing the error message again. (
answered no)

Then A new dialog came-up saying that another user saved data if
wanted to save a copy or over write changes.

I chose overwrite, and the problems were gone.
====================================
Now my questions:

I am planning to open all these reports with VBA code (QueryTable.add
and get the contents in a temporary sheet, for manipulation.

I fear that at that point these errors as described initially wil
cause me some headache, however the above procedure to remove the stuf
is too manual and cumbersome.

Any Ideas how I could trap for this stuff, and remove the XML tags fro
the Workbook programmatically?

The other thing that I am interested in, is how did the tags get ther
in the first place. (before I bug corporate about it :) )

I have attached a copy of one of these reports (of course without dat
:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Attachment filename: xmltags.xls
Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=63362