Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Looking up information

I have two small spreadsheets. One is a spreadsheet that
I use to produc quotes. The other is a spreadsheet that
has a list of customers. I would like to enter the
customers account number on the quote and have all of the
rest of the information (name, address, city, state, etc.)
entered automatically. I have looked at the vlookup
function but I don't seem to be doing it right. Could
someone please let me know if this the the right function
to use and how to use it correctly. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Vlookup would require that the data is arrange with the account number as
the leftmost column in your table.

assume

acctno name address city state
A2 B2 C2 D2 E2
A3 B3 C3 D3 E3
A4 B4 C4 D4 E4

assume the above is on sheet1. Assume A2 represents both the location A2
and the account Number is A2, the name is B2 in cell b2, etc just for
simplicity.

on sheet2,

A1: A3 (A1 holds the acct number A3)
B1: =Vlookup($A1,Sheet1!$A$2:$E$4,2,False)
C1: =Vlookup($A1,Sheet1!$A$2:$E$4,3,False)

Tom Ogilvy

"dyowell" wrote in message
I have two small spreadsheets. One is a spreadsheet that
I use to produc quotes. The other is a spreadsheet that
has a list of customers. I would like to enter the
customers account number on the quote and have all of the
rest of the information (name, address, city, state, etc.)
entered automatically. I have looked at the vlookup
function but I don't seem to be doing it right. Could
someone please let me know if this the the right function
to use and how to use it correctly. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

dyowell

First, on Sheet2 you would have a table with 5 columns containing your list of
customers under these headings....

Code, Name, Address, City, State

Select that table and InsertNameDefine. Call it mylist.

Now, assuming you enter the code number in A1 of Sheet1 and you want name in
B1, address in C1, city in D1, state in E1.

In B1 enter =VLOOKUP($A$1,mylist,2,FALSE)
In C1 enter =VLOOKUP($A$1,mylist,3,FALSE)

For D1 and E1 just advance the number to 4 and 5

In all cases, your cell references may differ. Adjust to suit.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP