Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2003 Additional Workbooks After Excel Crash

Twice now (two different workbooks) when running Excel 2003
(Win XP Pro) I triggered an Excel crash and automatic
recovery. Then when I went exploring the cause, I
triggered additional Excel crashes. In the Visual Basic
Editor, when I viewed the Project Explorer window, I was
astonished to see that for each crash, the recovery process
created an additional set of Sheets and Workbooks. For
example, I would end up with wowrkbooks labeled
"ThisWorkbook", "ThisWorkbook1", "ThisWorkbook2",
"ThisWorkbook3", and "ThisWorkbook4". The problem is that
it isn't clear which one of them I should use to store an
event macro in. I guessed ThisWorkbook4 might be worth a
try, and it worked just fine. Similarly there were a bunch
of new Sheets shown, each with its available modules for
event storage. However, there was no duplication of the
modules where ordinary macros are stored.
What's that all about? And how do I get rid of the
confusing duplicates? When I tried to delete one of the
duplicates, the delete option on the menu was "grayed out",
so I couldn't trash the duplicates, not that I really knew
which ones to delete. Do those duplicates represent any
kind of storage-using overhead. or are they essentially
"virtual"? I never saw such a thing in my previous
version of Excel because when it crashed there was no
automatic revocery process. Strange . . . very strange indeed.