Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Writing a DLL using Visual Studio 6 to return cell address!

I am trying to write an Excel DLL for a function using Visual Studio
in C/Visual C++ that can be called from a worksheet cell.

This function would do something very similar to the built-in VLOOKU
function except that, the user can specify which occurrance of the loo
up value to find rather than always the first - as is the case with th
built-in lookup functions. Further, the user would also be able t
specify the column number where the lookup should be searched rathe
than this always being the first. I don't want to do this using VB
Excel - it is very slow that way particularly when the search array i
big.

In essence, I am looking for some help to be able to do to pass a
Excel range or a VBA (Excel) array to the DLL function and to be abl
to return the cell from the dll function . Whilst I know how to retur
the address from C, I don't know how to translate that memory addres
to Excel cell addresses.

Deepak Agarwa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This MSKB article has some good info for creating DLL worksheet functions:

"agarwaldvk " wrote in message
I am trying to write an Excel DLL for a function using Visual Studio 6
in C/Visual C++ that can be called from a worksheet cell.

This function would do something very similar to the built-in VLOOKUP
function except that, the user can specify which occurrance of the look
up value to find rather than always the first - as is the case with the
built-in lookup functions. Further, the user would also be able to
specify the column number where the lookup should be searched rather
than this always being the first. I don't want to do this using VBA
Excel - it is very slow that way particularly when the search array is
big.

In essence, I am looking for some help to be able to do to pass an
Excel range or a VBA (Excel) array to the DLL function and to be able
to return the cell from the dll function . Whilst I know how to return
the address from C, I don't know how to translate that memory address
to Excel cell addresses.

Deepak Agarwal

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron

Whilst your response is good, it is only applicable to Excel 2002 an
above. I, at present have access to Excel 97/2000 at work. Hence,
would need assistance in writing DLL's for Excel funcitons using Visua
C++ via VS6. Can you help?

Deepa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

William Hooper has some good info on creating XLL

http://www.whooper.co.uk/excelstuff.htm

"agarwaldvk " wrote in message
Ron

Whilst your response is good, it is only applicable to Excel 2002 and
above. I, at present have access to Excel 97/2000 at work. Hence, I
would need assistance in writing DLL's for Excel funcitons using Visual
C++ via VS6. Can you help?

Deepak

---