Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Check Boxes and Option Buttons

Please help, I have designed a simple spreadsheet that
uses Check Boxes and Option Buttons from the Control
Toolbox and I am trying to make a small VBA routine to
clear them all.
I thought I could use:

Sub Clear_cb_ob()
Dim cb As CheckBox
Dim ob As OptionButton
For Each cb In Sheet1
cb.Value = False
Next
For Each ob In Sheet1
ob.Clear
Next
End Sub

But I just get:
Object doesn't support this property or method

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub ClearCheckboxes()
Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Count
If TypeName(ActiveSheet.OLEObjects(i).Object) = "CheckBox" Then
ActiveSheet.OLEObjects(i).Object.Value = False
End If
Next i

For i = 1 To ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Count
If TypeName(ActiveSheet.OLEObjects(i).Object) = "OptionButton" Then
ActiveSheet.OLEObjects(i).Object.Value = False
End If
Next i

HTH

Bob Phillips

"newboy18" wrote in message
Please help, I have designed a simple spreadsheet that
uses Check Boxes and Option Buttons from the Control
Toolbox and I am trying to make a small VBA routine to
clear them all.
I thought I could use:

Sub Clear_cb_ob()
Dim cb As CheckBox
Dim ob As OptionButton
For Each cb In Sheet1
cb.Value = False
Next
For Each ob In Sheet1
ob.Clear
Next
End Sub

But I just get:
Object doesn't support this property or method

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Bob but your routine did not work, after I played
a bit I realised that it was my fault, I made a mistake
in my question.
The controls I used were created using the Forms Toolbar
not the Control Toolbox
Could you please help again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub ClearControls()
Dim chk As CheckBox
Dim opt As OptionButton

For Each chk In ActiveSheet.Checkboxes
chk.Value = False
Next chk

For Each opt In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
opt.Value = False
Next opt

HTH

Bob Phillips

"newboy18" wrote in message
Thanks Bob but your routine did not work, after I played
a bit I realised that it was my fault, I made a mistake
in my question.
The controls I used were created using the Forms Toolbar
not the Control Toolbox
Could you please help again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks very much, I had been stuck on this for the past
couple of days

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have another question.
Everything was working but now I need to group the
optionboxes together into several groups.
I tried to ungroup everything, clear all the optionboxes
and then regroup everthing but it wont work.

Dim grp As ShapeRange

For Each grp In ActiveSheet.ShapeRange
grp.Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Ungroup.Select
Next grp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

why would you want to group forms controls. Why would you want to group
anything using code?

grouping this way is not the way to make forms controls operate as a group.
You use a group box around them to do that.

Tom Ogilvy

"newboy18" wrote in message
I have another question.
Everything was working but now I need to group the
optionboxes together into several groups.
I tried to ungroup everything, clear all the optionboxes
and then regroup everthing but it wont work.

Dim grp As ShapeRange

For Each grp In ActiveSheet.ShapeRange
grp.Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Ungroup.Select
Next grp

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is what I did, create 5 option boxes and group them
using a group box, then create another 5 option boxes and
group them using another group box and so on.
Each 5 option boxes is used for a different topic.
My problem is that I wanted an option that would clear
them all, kind of a reset.

why would you want to group forms controls. Why would

you want to group
anything using code?

grouping this way is not the way to make forms controls

operate as a group.
You use a group box around them to do that.

Tom Ogilvy

"newboy18" wrote

in message
I have another question.
Everything was working but now I need to group the
optionboxes together into several groups.
I tried to ungroup everything, clear all the

optionboxes
and then regroup everthing but it wont work.

Dim grp As ShapeRange

For Each grp In ActiveSheet.ShapeRange
grp.Select
Selection.ShapeRange.Ungroup.Select
Next grp

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sub Tester2()
For Each op In ActiveSheet.OptionButtons
op.Value = xlOff
Next

End Sub

works fine, pretty much the same as what Bob told you before.

Tom Ogilvy

"newboy18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No, if I set a counter going I can see it is going round
the loop a few times, then it gives the error:
Run-time error 1004
Unable to set the Value property of the OptionButton
class.
I only had 5 buttons that were grouped by 1 group box.
If I ungroup the option buttons it works OK.
So I guess I need 3 loops
1 - will ungroup everthing
2 - will clear everything
3 - re-group everything.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Again, there is no reason to group anything. stop grouping things. It isn't
required and does nothing for your functionality.

Ungroup things and leave them alone.

Tom Ogilvy

"newboy18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How can I group option boxes together if I don't group
them?
What I have is a questionare that asks users to select 1
of 5 different answers from several different questions.
So I want the each 5 option boxes to be grouped together.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You group option buttons by placing a group box around them. that is it.
You don't use code, you don't select them, do right click and group. You
don't use the group object.

Physically having the group box around them groups them for the purpose you
require. If you only do that, then the code works fine.

Tom Ogilvy

"newboy18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am confused, I agree with what you are saying.
I created 5 option buttons and then grouped them with a
Group Box and then I created 5 more option buttons and so
on.
What I want is a routine that will clear all of the
option buttons, a reset function, but it won't work
because the option buttons are grouped, if I ungroup them
manualy then the routine works.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I did the same. An a New worksheet

Put 5 option buttons on the worksheet.

Put a group box around them

Linked the first to a cell (all are now linked)

Put 5 option buttons on a worksheet

Put a group box around them

Linked the first to a cell (all are now linked)

select an option button in each

ran the code I provided.

It worked with no problem. All option buttons were cleared (and linked
cells showed zero).

all controls from the forms toolbar.

Tom Ogilvy

"newboy18" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, I think I have the same as you.
If I right click on one of the optionbuttons in the first
group then the whole group is selected and I can select
Format Object, (not what I want)

If I Ungroup them first, then right click on a
optionbutton, I can select just 1 of the optionbuttons,
this time the short menu allows me to Format Control.
From here I can select the Control tab and then Unselect.

It is the groups that are stopping me from running the
code.
If I can unselect the groups in the VBA before clearing
the optionbuttons then I am sure it will work

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for all your patience.
I created a counter and found that it failed when it had
gone round the loop 27 times so I changed the loop to set
the checkboxes, that way I could see which one was
causing the problem.
It turned out that I had Ctrl Right clicked on some
checkboxes in one of the groups and grouped them, it was
only these few that were causing the problem anyway I
have fixed it now.
Thanks for all your help.