Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Numbering of Charts

Greetings !

I have managed to corrupt a file, i.e. it kept crashing
Excel, so I have copied every sheet into a new WorkBook.
I have also copied all the VBA procedures into the correct
places, so I now have a new workbook "just like the old
one", but without (I hope!) the ciorruption.

Alas !

One one sheet, I have two Charts, numbered (by Excel) as
Chart1 and Chart 2

During the transfer process, these two charts have been
switched round, so the VBA now refers to the wrong charts !

How can I swap the names round again ?

When I hold Ctrl and click on a chart, the name of that
chart appears in a box on the left of the toolbar - but
changing the name appears to have no effect !

Help !

Regards

Robin

RClay AT haswell DOT com
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robin,

When I hold Ctrl and click on a chart, the name of that
chart appears in a box on the left of the toolbar - but
changing the name appears to have no effect !

Help !

I guess the safest thing to do is to rebuild those two charts.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

rename chart2 to chartX
rename chart1 to chart2
rename chartX to chart1

keepITcool

"Robin Clay" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It may even be easier to alter your code.

Do a find and replace.
Chart 1 to Chart 3
Chart 2 to Chart 1
Chart 3 to Chart 2

-Gitcyphe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robin,

When I hold Ctrl and click on a chart, the name of that
chart appears in a box on the left of the toolbar - but
changing the name appears to have no effect !

Another hunch: you NEED to press enter after changing the name.
Otherwise the change is ignored.

If you did do that and after trying again still cannot rename (using
the other advice given in this thread), I strongly suspect these charts
to be corrupt. It might be very wise to delete them and build them from
scratch.

Another thing to try:

Open the file
Save-as filetype Webpage
Close the file
Open the html file
Save-as normal Excel workbook

This roundtrip sometimes cures corruptions.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com